Deriving Equations of Motion for Two-Step Cone Pulley Vibration

In summary, the textbook says that you need to use Rayleigh's energy method to find the KE of the step cones and PE of the springs.
toolpusher123
Hi, I'm currently studying Mechanical Eng & have a class next semester 'Eng Analysis', which involves a large section on vibration. I've been trying to work my way through S.S.Rao, Mech Vibrations, 2nd edition. There's one specific problem; Project 5.51/Chapter 5/page 292.
The problem concerns; two step cone pulleys connected by a belt. All relevant variables are given i.e. input/output shaft rpm, driven puley rpms, distance between centres,polar moments of inertia etc.
I understand that this is a 2 Degrees of Freedom problem, & I should draw a free body diagram ( 2 pulleys connected by 2 springs). It's theinitial 'Equations of Motion' that I can't derive, & without these I can't really start the problem. I've attached a screen shot containing a clear example of the problem.
Any help that's offered would be greatfully received.

Attachments

• 2 Degrees of Freedom.JPG
    2 Degrees of Freedom.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 675
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
toolpusher123 said:
Hi, I'm currently studying Mechanical Eng & have a class next semester 'Eng Analysis', which involves a large section on vibration. I've been trying to work my way through S.S.Rao, Mech Vibrations, 2nd edition. There's one specific problem; Project 5.51/Chapter 5/page 292.
The problem concerns; two step cone pulleys connected by a belt. All relevant variables are given i.e. input/output shaft rpm, driven puley rpms, distance between centres,polar moments of inertia etc.
I understand that this is a 2 Degrees of Freedom problem, & I should draw a free body diagram ( 2 pulleys connected by 2 springs). It's theinitial 'Equations of Motion' that I can't derive, & without these I can't really start the problem. I've attached a screen shot containing a clear example of the problem.
Any help that's offered would be greatfully received.

What does the textbook say about this kind of problem? What equations does the text use when describing this kind of problem?

From the question:
Input speed 350 RPM, output speed 150 RPM
Input diameter 250mm, output diameter 1000mm

? Either I don't understand the question, or there is a typo somewhere. Those numbers don't seem to be consistent with each other.

Same problem, updated rpm's & diameters...

Hi, sorry here's the question with updated variables i.e. input shaft speed, output pulley speeds.
Young's modulus for the belt: j1= 1x10^10 N/m^2, Drive step cone mass moment of inertia: j2=0.35 kg.m^2, Driven step cone mass moment of inertia: 0.6 kg.m^2, Distance between centres: c=2.8m, belt width: 19mm
Please see attached for details.

1st step: Free Body Diagram. this is essentially the 2 masses connected by 2 springs.
2nd step: Using Newton's 2nd law (∑F=ma), write Eq's of motion.
3rd: Assume simple harmonics. x=X sin (ωt+ø), x'=ωX cos (ωt+ø)
4th: determine natural frequencies...
I think it's 'Rayleigh's energy method', I should use to find the KE of the step cones & PE of the springs.
It's the initial Eq's of motion that I can't derive.

Attachments

• IMG_0840.jpg
    IMG_0840.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 584
N=300rpm
No1=650rpm
No2=450rpm
No3=250rpm
No4=100rpm
d1=400mm
d2=300mm
d3=200mm
d4=100mm

Last edited:

Related to Deriving Equations of Motion for Two-Step Cone Pulley Vibration

1. What causes mechanical vibrations?

Mechanical vibrations can be caused by external forces acting on a structure, such as wind or seismic activity, or by internal sources such as rotating machinery or unbalanced loads.

2. How do you measure mechanical vibrations?

Mechanical vibrations can be measured using sensors such as accelerometers, which measure the acceleration of a structure, or displacement transducers, which measure the movement of a structure from its equilibrium position.

3. What are the effects of mechanical vibrations?

Mechanical vibrations can cause fatigue and wear on structures, leading to potential damage and failure. They can also affect the performance and accuracy of machinery and equipment.

4. How do you analyze and solve mechanical vibration problems?

Mechanical vibration problems can be analyzed using mathematical models and simulations to determine the natural frequencies and modes of vibration of a structure. Solutions may involve modifying the structure's design or adding damping materials to reduce vibration amplitudes.

5. How can mechanical vibrations be controlled or reduced?

Mechanical vibrations can be controlled or reduced by implementing proper design techniques, such as using stiff and well-supported structures, or by adding damping materials. Maintenance and regular inspections can also help identify and address potential vibration issues.