Deriving Relativistic Pressure of Ideal Gas: Why Am I Getting v/c?

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the pressure expression for an ideal gas in terms of number density, relativistic energy, and rest mass. The final expression is P = (2/3)(N/V)(ϒ - 1)mc2, where ϒ is the Lorentz factor. The speaker is uncertain about the inclusion of the term for velocity, v, and questions whether it should be replaced with pc/E for an ultrarelativistic particle. They also provide their own derivation, but are unsure if it is correct due to their limited knowledge in relativity.
Jeremy Wittkopp
Suppose the molecules of an ideal gas move with a speed comparable to the speed of light. I am trying to adapt the kinetic theory to express the pressure of the gas in terms of m and the relativistic energy, but each time I try to derive the expression, I get: P = (1/3)(N/V)(v/c)√(E2 - m2c2).

N/V - number density
v - velocity
c - speed of light
E - relativistic energy
m - rest mass

There shouldn't be the term for velocity. Idk what I am doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is v/c for an ultrarelativistic particle?

Wouldn't it be: pc/E? But in my derivation, I already inputted momentum, so I'm still a bit confused.

I tried this derivation again, I'll show my work this time:

Classical Ideal Gas: P = (1/3)(N/V)mv2 = (2/3) * (1/2)mv2 * (N/V) = (2/3)K(N/V) (assuming only 3 degrees of freedom)
P - pressure
N - # of particles
V - volume
m - mass
v - velocity
K - kinetic energy

Krel = (ϒ - 1)mc2
where
c - speed of light
ϒ - Lorentz factor

So then: P = (2/3)(N/V)(ϒ - 1)mc2

Tell me if I am just crazy, relativity isn't my strongest area.

Firstly, it is important to note that the kinetic theory of gases is based on classical mechanics and does not take into account the effects of relativity. Therefore, when trying to adapt the theory to express the pressure of an ideal gas in terms of relativistic energy, there may be some discrepancies.

One possible explanation for the inclusion of the term for velocity (v/c) in the derived expression is that the velocity of the gas molecules is being treated as a relativistic quantity. In classical mechanics, the kinetic energy of a particle is given by 1/2mv^2, where m is the rest mass and v is the velocity. However, in relativity, the kinetic energy is given by the expression E = √(p^2c^2 + m^2c^4), where p is the momentum of the particle. This expression takes into account the effects of special relativity, including the increase in mass as the velocity approaches the speed of light.

Therefore, in order to incorporate the effects of relativity into the kinetic theory of gases, the velocity term (v/c) may have been included in the derived expression for pressure. However, this may not be a completely accurate representation as the kinetic theory does not fully account for the relativistic effects on gas molecules.

In conclusion, the inclusion of the term (v/c) in the derived expression for pressure may be an attempt to incorporate the effects of relativity into the kinetic theory of gases. However, it is important to keep in mind that the theory is based on classical mechanics and may not fully account for the relativistic behavior of gas molecules. Further research and development may be needed in order to accurately describe the pressure of an ideal gas in terms of relativistic energy.

Related to Deriving Relativistic Pressure of Ideal Gas: Why Am I Getting v/c?

1. How do I derive the relativistic pressure of an ideal gas?

To derive the relativistic pressure of an ideal gas, you will need to use the relativistic energy-momentum relation, which is given by p = γmv, where p is the relativistic momentum, m is the rest mass, v is the velocity, and γ is the Lorentz factor. You will also need to use the ideal gas law, PV = NkT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, N is the number of particles, k is the Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature. By combining these two equations and using some algebra, you can derive the relativistic pressure of an ideal gas.

2. Why am I getting v/c in my derivation?

The v/c term in the derivation represents the ratio of the particle's velocity to the speed of light. This term arises because, in relativity, the mass of a particle increases as its velocity approaches the speed of light. This increase in mass affects the momentum and pressure of the particle, resulting in the v/c term in the final equation.

3. How does the relativistic pressure of an ideal gas differ from the classical pressure?

The classical pressure of an ideal gas is given by the ideal gas law, PV = NkT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, N is the number of particles, k is the Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature. In contrast, the relativistic pressure of an ideal gas takes into account the effects of relativity on the momentum of the particles, resulting in a slightly different expression for pressure, which includes the Lorentz factor.

4. Can the relativistic pressure of an ideal gas be applied to all gases?

The derivation of the relativistic pressure of an ideal gas assumes that the particles in the gas are massless and move at the speed of light. Therefore, it is not applicable to all gases, as most gases consist of particles with mass. However, this equation can be used to describe the behavior of high-energy particles, such as photons and neutrinos.

5. How is the relativistic pressure of an ideal gas useful in scientific research?

The relativistic pressure of an ideal gas is essential in understanding the behavior of high-energy particles, such as those found in particle accelerators and astronomical phenomena. It is also crucial in the development of theories and models that incorporate the effects of relativity, such as the theory of general relativity. Additionally, this equation is used in various fields, including astrophysics, nuclear physics, and cosmology.