Deriving Schrodinger Eq. from Lagrange & Midpoint Rule

Schrodinger equation for a particle with charge e coupled to a vector potential:iħ(∂Ψ/∂t) = [-ħ^2/2m (∂^2Ψ/∂x^2) + eΨ A(X,t)]In summary, we can derive the Schrodinger equation for a particle with charge e coupled to a vector potential by using the Lagrangian function and the midpoint rule to approximate the time derivative of the position variable. This allows us to find the equations of motion and, in the limit, we obtain the Schrodinger equation.
greeniq

Homework Statement

derive from the Lagrange function and with the use of the midpoint rule, the Schrodinger equation for a particle with charge e coupled to a vector potential?

Homework Equations

L=(1/2)m Xt2+ e Xt . A(Xt,t)

I mean by X== X dot, but A is a fun. of X and t

The Attempt at a Solution

I even can't start such a quastion, coz this is my first course in quantum but since I am from Denemark my Pakistani teacher always gives me too much hard quastions to solve!

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear student,

The Schrodinger equation for a particle with charge e coupled to a vector potential can be derived from the Lagrangian function using the midpoint rule. First, we need to rewrite the Lagrangian function in terms of the position, momentum, and time variables. We have:

L = (1/2)m X^2 + e X . A(X,t)

Where X is the position variable, m is the mass of the particle, e is its charge, and A is the vector potential which is a function of both position and time.

Next, we need to use the midpoint rule to approximate the time derivative of the position variable. This is given by:

X(t+Δt) ≈ X(t) + (Δt/2)(Ẋ(t+Δt) + Ẋ(t))

Where Δt is a small time interval.

Now, using this approximation in the Lagrangian function, we get:

L ≈ (1/2)m [X(t) + (Δt/2)(Ẋ(t+Δt) + Ẋ(t))]^2 + e [X(t) + (Δt/2)(Ẋ(t+Δt) + Ẋ(t))] . A(X(t),t)

Expanding and simplifying, we get:

L ≈ (1/2)m X^2 + (1/2)m (Δt)^2 Ẋ^2 + (1/2)m Δt X Ẍ + (1/2)Δt^2 Ẍ̇ + e X . A(X,t) + (Δt/2)(e Ẋ . A(X,t+Δt) + e Ẋ . A(X,t))

Using the Euler-Lagrange equation, we can now find the equations of motion for the position and momentum variables. This gives us:

mẍ + e A(X,t) + (Δt/2)(e Ẍ . A(X,t+Δt) + e Ẍ . A(X,t)) = 0

And,

mẋ + (Δt/2)(e Ẋ . A(X,t+Δt) + e Ẋ . A(X,t)) = p

Where p is the momentum variable.

Finally, taking

1. What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the wave function of a quantum system evolves over time.

2. How is the Schrodinger equation derived from Lagrange's equations?

Lagrange's equations are a set of equations that describe the motion of a system in terms of its generalized coordinates. By applying these equations to the quantum system, we can derive the Schrodinger equation, which describes the time evolution of the quantum system's wave function.

3. What is the Midpoint Rule in the context of deriving the Schrodinger equation?

The Midpoint Rule is a numerical integration method that approximates the value of a function at a particular point by taking the average of the function values at the endpoints of a small interval. This rule is used in the derivation of the Schrodinger equation from Lagrange's equations.

4. Why is the Schrodinger equation important?

The Schrodinger equation is important because it is the fundamental equation of quantum mechanics. It allows us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems and has been successful in explaining a wide range of phenomena in the microscopic world.

5. How does the Schrodinger equation relate to the wave-particle duality of matter?

The Schrodinger equation describes the wave-like behavior of particles at the quantum level. It explains how particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like properties, which is known as wave-particle duality. This equation plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of matter at the atomic and subatomic level.