Deriving Speed and Period of Rotating Disk System with Attached Small Disk

• Thread starter Wen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shm
In summary: Substituting torque constant K in the equation of motion I@ + K@ = 0hence d^2@/dt^2 + g/R@ = 0 g/R = K2, w = sqrt(g/R) t = 2pi/w In summary, a small thin disk of radius r and mass m is attached rigidly to a larger thin disk of radius R and mass M. The centre of the small disk is located at the edge of the large disk, which is mounted on a frictionless axle. When the assembly is rotated through a small angle theetre from its equilibrium position and released, the speed of the small disk as it passes through the equilibrium position is v=2
Wen
A small thin disk of radius r and mass m is attached rigidly to the face of a second thin disk of radius R and mass M. The centre of the small disk is located at the edge of the large disk. The large disk is mounted on its centre of a frictionless axle. the assembly is rotated through a small angle theetre from its equilibrium position and then released. Show that the speed of the small disk as it passes through the equilibrium position is

v=2{Rg(1-cos theetre)/[ M/m+ (r/R)^2+2]}^0.5

and the period is

T=2pi {[(M+2m)R^2+mr^2]/[2mgR]}^0.5

I am stuck in the first part already.
My method was: Since the axis of rotation is through the COM of the larger disk, hence the nett torque is mgRsin theetre.
This torque is equal to I alpha which is equal to (1/2MR^2+mR^2) alpha.
angular aceleration is not constant so i must carry out an integration when using the eqn V^2=U^2+2aS

i have been struggling with this prob. for a long time . pl help me.

Attachments

• P1010211.JPG
    P1010211.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 783
Physics news on Phys.org
Wen said:
A small thin disk of radius r and mass m is attached rigidly to the face of a second thin disk of radius R and mass M. The centre of the small disk is located at the edge of the large disk. The large disk is mounted on its centre of a frictionless axle. the assembly is rotated through a small angle theetre from its equilibrium position and then released. Show that the speed of the small disk as it passes through the equilibrium position is

v=2{Rg(1-cos theetre)/[ M/m+ (r/R)^2+2]}^0.5

and the period is

T=2pi {[(M+2m)R^2+mr^2]/[2mgR]}^0.5

I am stuck in the first part already.
My method was: Since the axis of rotation is through the COM of the larger disk, hence the nett torque is mgRsin theetre.
This torque is equal to I alpha which is equal to (1/2MR^2+mR^2) alpha.
angular aceleration is not constant so i must carry out an integration when using the eqn V^2=U^2+2aS

i have been struggling with this prob. for a long time . pl help me.
You don't have to do an integration. You can regognize the differential equation [itex]\theta = k\ddot{\theta}[/itex] as the harmonic equation. It has a general solution of [itex]\theta (t)= A\cos{\sqrt{k}t} + B\sin{\sqrt{k}t}[/itex] for constants A and B to be determined by initial conditions. Remember that it was specified that the angle was small, so the approximation [itex]\sin{\theta} \approx \theta[/itex] is valid. Also, you don't have the moment of inertia correct. I is equal to the moment of inertia of the big disk plus that of the small disk. The moment of inertia of the large one is simply [itex]\frac{MR^2}{2}[/itex], while the second can be computed with the use of the parallel axis theorem. I am getting a slightly different answer than the one you gave. I get the 2 in v=2{...}^.5 to be inside the square root. One of us made a mistake, so just check and make sure it isn't you.

no it was correct.2 is outside of the sq. rt.
But the angular a is not constant, so i thought a integration must be carried out?

I was using the parallel axis theorem: 1/2MR^2 + mR^2

Wen said:
I was using the parallel axis theorem: 1/2MR^2 + mR^2
Where did you use the parallel axis theorem? Here you are treating the small disk as a point mass, which it is not. Use the parallel axis theorem to find the rotational inertia of the small disk about the axis of the large disk. (You neglected the rotational inertia of the small disk about its own center.)

No, there is no need for integration. Once you use the approximation [itex]\sin{\theta} \approx \theta[/itex], then it simply becomes the harmonic equation, for which the solution is known. The parallel axis theorem says that the moment of inertia of the small disk is [itex]\frac{mr^2}{2} + mR^2[/itex]. Combine that with the moment of inertial of the larger disk to get [itex]\frac{mr^2}{2} + mR^2 +\frac{MR^2}{2} = (\frac{M}{2} + m)R^2 + \frac{mr^2}{2}[/itex].

The Restoring torque is given by

tau = - mgR@

hence torque constant K is mgR

1. What is SHM?

SHM stands for simple harmonic motion. It is a type of periodic motion in which a body moves back and forth around its equilibrium position, with a constant amplitude and frequency.

2. What are the factors that affect SHM?

The factors that affect SHM include the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the motion. The greater the mass or the spring constant, the slower the frequency of the motion. The larger the amplitude, the greater the displacement of the object.

3. How is SHM related to Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. This relationship is the basis for SHM, as the restoring force of a spring causes the object to oscillate back and forth around its equilibrium position.

4. What is the equation for calculating the period of SHM?

The equation for calculating the period of SHM is T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period in seconds, m is the mass of the object in kilograms, and k is the spring constant in newtons per meter.

5. What are some real-life examples of SHM?

Some real-life examples of SHM include the swinging of a pendulum, the vibrations of a guitar string, and the bouncing of a mass attached to a spring. SHM can also be seen in the motion of planets around the sun and the vibrations of molecules in a solid.