Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving the dirac equation

1. Jan 30, 2013 #1
    Hi i am trying to derive the Dirac equation of the form:
    [itex] [i\gamma^0 \partial_0 + i\frac{1}{a(t)}\gamma.\nabla +i\frac{3}{2}(\frac{\dot{a}}{a})\gamma^0 - (m+h\phi)]\psi [/itex] where a is the scale factor for expnasion of the universe.

I understand that the matter action is [itex]S=\int d^{4}x e [\frac{1}{2}\partial_{\mu}\phi\partial^{\mu}\phi - V(\phi) + i \bar{\psi}\bar{\gamma}^{\mu}\vec{D}_{\mu}\psi -(m+h\phi)\bar{\psi}\psi)] [/itex] but i don't understand firstly why there is a vierbein and not a [itex]\sqrt{-g}[/itex] term.

I don't really understand why this is the case [itex]D_{\mu}=\frac{1}{4}\bar{\psi}\bar{\gamma}^{\mu} \gamma_{\alpha \beta}\omega^{\alpha \beta}_{\mu}[/itex] and why the arrow above the D is gone.

And lastly I don't understand why [itex]\bar{\gamma}^{i}=\frac{1}{a(t)}\gamma^{i}[/itex]

I understand that one needs to vary the action and i can do that bit but I don't understand some of these conversions, thx. I would appareciate any help that anyone can offer in tis challenge.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2013 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

To deal with spinors in curved spacetimes (or even just curvilinear coordinates) you need to use a set of basis vectors. This is because the gamma matrices that obey {γμ, γν} = 2gμν aren't constant, so we use instead matrices referred to a basis, in which {γa, γb} = 2ηab.

The covariant derivative is Dμ = ∂μ - (1/4)σabωabμ where σab is the usual Dirac matrix, and ωabμ are the Ricci rotation coefficients associated with the vierbein.

I think the only reason there's an arrow over the D is to remind us that it acts on the spinor to its right.

4. Jan 31, 2013 #3
    yeah thanks, i have a method to work on now.
    I know that one can relate the spin connection to the gamma matrices by: [itex] \Gamma_{\mu} [/itex] to [itex] \gamma[/itex] by [itex] [\Gamma_{\mu},\gamma^{\nu}][/itex] but is this simply a standard commutator relationship or is it something more because wouldn't [itex]\Gamma_{1}\gamma^{1} - \gamma^{1}\Gamma_{1} =0 [/itex] for example?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook