Deriving the Elastic Energy Equation: How Do I Go from F=kx to F=1/2kx^2?

In summary, to derive an equation for elastic energy in terms of k and x, you need to find the work done by the force F = kx as it compresses a spring. This can be done by finding the area under the force graph using calculus or another method. The final equation for elastic energy will involve k and x.
davyvfr

Homework Statement

Derive an equation for elastic energy, in terms of k and x. Show all steps.

Homework Equations

F=1/2kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe Force=1/2kx^2 is the answer but how would I show steps to get an elastic energy equation? Basically, going from F=kx, what steps do I need to take to go from that equation to the elastic energy equation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find the work done by the F = kx force as it compresses the spring (or as the spring pushes with that force on some other object). x will vary from 0 (meaning no compression or extension) to some final value X. It would be easy if F didn't vary with x. Since it does vary with x, you will have to use calculus or some kind of workaround. Perhaps you can find a definition of work involving the area under a force graph.

Related to Deriving the Elastic Energy Equation: How Do I Go from F=kx to F=1/2kx^2?

What is the Elastic Energy Equation?

The Elastic Energy Equation is a formula used to calculate the potential energy stored in a stretched or compressed elastic material, such as a spring or rubber band.

What is the formula for the Elastic Energy Equation?

The formula for the Elastic Energy Equation is E = 1/2kx^2, where E is the elastic potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position.

What is the unit of measurement for elastic potential energy?

The unit of measurement for elastic potential energy is joules (J).

How is the Elastic Energy Equation used in real-life applications?

The Elastic Energy Equation is used in various real-life applications, such as in engineering to design structures and machines that use elastic materials, in sports equipment like trampolines and diving boards, and in medical devices like prosthetics and braces.

What is the relationship between the Elastic Energy Equation and the Hooke's Law?

The Elastic Energy Equation and Hooke's Law are closely related, as Hooke's Law states that the force exerted by an elastic material is directly proportional to the amount of stretch or compression. This force is then used in the Elastic Energy Equation to calculate the potential energy stored in the material.