1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Describe the surface in cylindrical coordinates?

1. Sep 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The surface is x^2/y*z=10. Put this into cylidrical coordinates. in the form r=f(theta,z)

2. Relevant equations
    No clue

3. The attempt at a solution
    No clue

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2012 #2
    in your book, you will probably find equations for x, for y in terms of theta and z. don't have my book here with me.

4. Sep 16, 2012 #3
    I don't understand what r=f(theta,z) means and how to write my answer in that form

5. Sep 16, 2012 #4
    apparently, this is the conversion from cartesian coordinates (x,y,z) to cilindrical (rho, phi, z):

[itex] x = \rho \cos \varphi [/itex]
    [itex]y = \rho \sin \varphi [/itex]

[itex] \rho = \sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}[/itex] and

[itex] \varphi = \begin{cases} 0 & \mbox{if } x = 0 \mbox{ and } y = 0\\ \arcsin(\frac{y}{\rho}) & \mbox{if } x \geq 0 \\ -\arcsin(\frac{y}{\rho}) + \pi & \mbox{if } x < 0\\ \end{cases}
    [/itex]

6. Sep 16, 2012 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Substitute ##x=r\cos\theta,\, y=r\sin\theta## in the equation and solve it for ##r##.

7. Sep 16, 2012 #6
    f(theta, z) means that you should equate radius to a function of theta and z. in this case theta is the angle [itex]\phi [/phi] in the equations above. this angle, simply put, is the same as the angle in polar coordinates. the only difference between polar coordinates and cilindrical, is that with cilindrical, you have height (z) as well

8. Sep 16, 2012 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##\theta## is given by \theta, not \phi.

9. Sep 16, 2012 #8
    Got it. Thanks guys

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook