1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Describe this very hard integral as a taylor-polynomial

1. Nov 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the polynomal that approximates the integral of (t^2)e^-t^2 from 0 to x, [0,1], with an error less than 10^-3

2. Relevant equations
    You need to use taylor theorem & remainder estimation theorem

3. The attempt at a solution

I set up the tailor series with the first 4 terms (1/e, 0, (2/e)(x-1)^2, (1/6)*(x-1)^4), but where am I supposed to go now? I integrated the series, but I still don't know if I got enough terms.

Hell, what does it mean to integrate something from 0 to x? x isn't even a number! Does the book mean from 0 to 1, since t is an element between 0 and 1? Until I figure what the hell the book is on about, I can't use the remainder estimation theorem.

I am extremely confused atm and I think the book I have is pretty bad at explaining.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2012 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

x is a number in [0,1]
    estimate the function
    [tex]F(x)=\int_0^x (t^2)e^{-t^2} dt[/tex]
    by another function G(x) such that
    |G(x)-F(x)|<10^-3
    whenever
    0<=x<=1

4. Nov 11, 2012 #3
    uhm, i'm having trouble finding the error.. I now understand the problem, but I still am unable to use the remainder estimation theorem because:

1) I cannot find M, the biggest value f derived n times, without digital tools. This is because I get increasingly complicated functions as I keep deriving them, and there is no pattern in F(x)'s taylor series.
    2) I am a bit unsure on how it works, because I've never used it before.

5. Nov 11, 2012 #4

lurflurf

Homework Helper

This problem is tedious if done certain ways.

The quick way is to first find the Taylor polynomials of e^x call it p(x) then
    (t^2)p(-t^2) is the Taylor polynomial of (t^2)e^-t^2
    The error is easily estimated by observing the series is alternating, so the first omitted term is a good estimate of the error.

6. Nov 11, 2012 #5
    uhm, so it's allowed to just substitute stuff in and out, and multiply the polynomials with t^2? I had no idea... I just wish our professor would be so kind to go through this stuff before the assignments are due.. sigh

Anyway, THANKS allot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook