1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Describing A Mathematical Result

1. Sep 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let u be an arbitrary fixed unit vector and show that an vector b satisfies [itex]b^2 = (\vec{u} \cdot \vec{b}) + (\vec{u} \times \vec{b})^2[/itex] Explain this result in words, with the help of a picture.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand that the equations says that the square of the magnitude of some vector b is equal to the square of the dot product of b and some arbitrary unit vector u, plus the square of the cross product between the two vectors alluded to already.

I want to examine the dot product first. [itex]\vec{u} \cdot \vec{b} = |u||b|\cos \theta[/itex]. Is it correct to state that the cross product represents the amount of vector b that goes (points) in the direction of vector u. So, the right side of the equation can be thought of the magnitude of some vector[itex]\vec{b_{\vec{u}}}[/itex], such that [itex]\vec{b_{\vec{u}}} = c \vec{u}[/itex], and [itex]\vec{b} = \vec{b_{\vec{u}}} + \vec{b_{||}}[/itex], where [itex]\vec{b_{||}}[/itex] is orthogonal to the vector u.

Are these correct statements?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2013 #2
    Can you write the question as it is supposed to be written.

4. Sep 14, 2013 #3
    The description given in section 1 is the exact problem.

5. Sep 14, 2013 #4
    I simply want to know if these statements are valid.

6. Sep 14, 2013 #5
    Are you sure that the first term on the rhs is [itex](\vec{u} \cdot \vec{b})[/itex] rather than [itex](\vec{u} \cdot \vec{b})^2[/itex]?

7. Sep 15, 2013 #6
    Chester, you are correct. It should be squared.

8. Sep 15, 2013 #7
    So, am I to assume the statements I quoted in post #4 are correct, as no one has opposed them?

9. Sep 15, 2013 #8
    [itex](\vec{u} \cdot \vec{b})^2=b^2\cos^2{\theta}[/itex]
    [itex](\vec{u} \times \vec{b})\cdot(\vec{u} \times \vec{b})=b^2\sin^2{\theta}[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted