1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Describing Electronic orbit in 3D space using A matrix.

1. Sep 8, 2018 #1
    I've plotted out the trajectory of an imaginary electron in 3D; next I represent it's points with the matrix A(x1 y1 z1) "throughout it's orbit":
    ( -1/2 -1 1
    ( -2 -1.5 2
    (-1/2 2 3
    ( 1 3 1 )
    2 -2 -1

Any pointers on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated. External links are helpful too.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2018 #2
  4. Sep 8, 2018 #3

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

You'll have to tell us more. What are you trying to do here? What problem are you trying to solve? How did you come up with these four positions?

5. Sep 8, 2018 #4
    Yes, I'm new to matrices and I am looking for resources to create objects in 3 dimensions then model those objects in 3 dimensions.

6. Sep 8, 2018 #5

Mentz114

Gold Member

One way to do this is to start with a position vector in the x-y plane ##\vec{x}=(x,y)## and use a 2x2 matrix to change the position by multiplication so that ##\vec{x}_{n+1}=M\vec{x}_n##,

For instance
    [tex]
    M= \pmatrix{\cos\left( a\right) & \sin\left( a\right) \cr -\sin\left( a\right) & \cos\left( a\right) }
    [/tex]
    so that
    [tex]
    M\vec{x}= \pmatrix{\cos\left( a\right) & \sin\left( a\right) \cr -\sin\left( a\right) & \cos\left( a\right) }\vec{x}=\pmatrix{\sin\left( a\right) \,y+\cos\left( a\right) \,x\cr \cos\left( a\right) \,y-\sin\left( a\right) \,x}
    [/tex]
    If you start with position (-1,0) and choose a small ##a##, say 0.05 radians, then applying the matrix successively moves the point in a circle with radius 1 and center 0.

7. Sep 8, 2018 #6
    Wow! Thank you so much!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted