Description of a wave packet incident on a square potential barrier

Inside the well, the wave packet is more confined and it takes longer for the wave to reach the next maximum. Therefore, in summary, a wave packet of mean energy E0 is incident on a potential square barrier. The figure below shows stills from a film showing 9 successive stages in interaction. The incident packet at time t = 0 describes one particle and not multiple particles with different momentum states. In the times from 400 − 700, the fine structure of maxima and minima outside the barrier is due to the superposition of plane waves with different wavenumbers. If the well was attractive instead, adjacent maxima would be more closely spaced outside the well due to the spreading out of the wave packet.
jmm5872
A wave packet of mean energy E0 is incident on a potential square barrier. The figure below shows stills from a film showing 9 successive stages in interaction.

a) True or false? The incident packet at time t = 0 describes many particles, each in a
different momentum state. If false, tell what the incident pulse does describe.

b) In the times from 400 − 700, what is the reason for the fine structure of maxima and
minima, outside the barrier?

c) If the well was attractive instead, do you expect adjacent maxima to be more closely spaced inside or outside the well? Why?

I'm a little confused here because I thought that a wave packet could describe a particle or particles, by a superposition of plane waves each with different wavenumbers (k).

The momentum is p = [itex]\hbar[/itex]k
Therefore, a range of wavenumbers describes a range of momenta. But if you measure it, the wavefunction breaks down and you will measure one specific value of momentum.

So, I am thinking the answer is false, because this could describe one particle. Also because it describes the probability of measuring the particle(s) position and momentum, meaning there are not different momentum states.

For part (b), I'm not sure what is going on here. I know that the wave is partially transmitted and partially reflected, and the reflected portion will interfere with the incident wave that hasn't reached the barrier yet. This explains the peak in amplitude just outside the barrier because the waves are adding together. But I'm not sure about the fine structure. Does this have something to do with the superposition of plane waves and their different wavenumbers?

Sorry, I couldn't get just the image attached on here since it is in a pdf. I'm not sure if I can attach a whole pdf on here, but I will if someone needs to see the picture.

Physics news on Phys.org
For part (c), I think that adjacent maxima would be more closely spaced outside the well. This is because the wave packet is spread out more outside the well, and so it takes less time for the wave to travel between maxima.

1. What is a wave packet?

A wave packet is a localized wave that consists of a group of waves with different frequencies and wavelengths. It is a mathematical solution to describe the behavior of a physical wave, such as light or sound.

2. What is a square potential barrier?

A square potential barrier is a barrier that has a constant potential energy within a certain region and then abruptly changes to a different constant energy outside of that region. It is a commonly used model in physics to represent barriers that particles can encounter.

3. How does a wave packet incident on a square potential barrier behave?

When a wave packet encounters a square potential barrier, part of the wave packet will be transmitted through the barrier, while the other part will be reflected back. The relative amount of transmission and reflection depends on the energy of the wave packet and the height and width of the potential barrier.

4. What is the significance of studying the behavior of a wave packet on a square potential barrier?

Studying the behavior of a wave packet on a square potential barrier can help us understand how particles behave when encountering barriers in quantum mechanics. It also has practical applications, such as in the design of semiconductor devices and understanding the properties of materials.

5. How is the behavior of a wave packet on a square potential barrier related to the uncertainty principle?

The behavior of a wave packet on a square potential barrier is related to the uncertainty principle because the wave packet's position and momentum cannot be known simultaneously with perfect accuracy. As the wave packet encounters the potential barrier, its position becomes more well-defined, but its momentum becomes more uncertain, and vice versa. This trade-off between position and momentum is a manifestation of the uncertainty principle.