Wave Packet Expansion Homework - Understand Abbreviations

In summary, the homework statement is saying that when a wave packet moves in space, its momentum is approximately classical, with a mean momentum. To see this behavior, they use a Taylor expansion around a given point. The expansion ismultivariable and has been abbreviated to bar{\omega}. They also are familiar with vector calculus and gradient, divergence, and curl operations. Thanks!
ognik

Homework Statement

The text states:
"Let us consider a wave packet whose Fourier inverse ##\phi (\vec{k})## is appreciably different from zero only in a limited range ##\Delta \vec{k}## near the mean wave vector ##\hbar \vec{\bar{k}} ##. In coordinate space, the wave packet ##\psi(\vec{r}, t)## must move approximately like a classical free particle with mean momentum ##\hbar \vec{\bar{k}}##. To see this behavior we expand ##\omega (\vec{k})## about ##\vec{\bar{k}}##:

## \omega (\vec{k}) = \omega(\vec{\bar{k}}) + (\vec{k} - \vec{\bar{k}}) \cdot (\vec{\nabla_k} \omega)_{k= \vec{\bar{k}}} + ...##

##=\bar{\omega} + (\vec{k} - \vec{\bar{k}})\cdot \vec{\nabla_{\bar{k}}} \bar{\omega} +... ## with obvious abbreviations"

I'm afraid not much of the above is obvious to me ... have searched all over but no progress ... please help me understand -

What expansion are they using and where do they get it from?
What are the abbreviations mentioned?

Physics news on Phys.org
A multivariable Taylor expansion has been used.

##\omega \left( \bar{k} \right)## has been abbreviated to ##\bar{\omega}##.

Likes ognik
George Jones said:
A multivariable Taylor expansion has been used.
##\omega \left( \bar{k} \right)## has been abbreviated to ##\bar{\omega}##.
Thanks George, a couple of things still puzzle me:
1. what is the 2nd variable? Is it ##\vec{\bar{k}}## ... how can they expand about a variable (##\vec{\bar{k}}##) if it is?
2. the text talks earlier about the width/spread of the wave packet as ##k_x - \bar{k}##, shouldn't that be ##|k_x - \bar{k}|## to keep both sides positive? (its a length)

ognik said:
1. what is the 2nd variable? Is it ##\vec{\bar{k}}## ...

No.

If you post the Taylor expansion of a function of three variables in the form that appears in a calculus text, then we can discuss how the form in the original post is exactly the same.

Thanks, I'm assuming we are talking about 2 variables, then the expansion is:

## f(x,y,z) = f(a,b,c) + (x-a)f_x(a,b,c) + (y-b)f_y(a,b,c) + (z-c)f_z(a,b,c) + \frac{1}{2!} ## [quadratic and higher terms - which are ignored bu the text]

Last edited:
ognik said:
Thanks, I'm assuming we are talking about 2 variables

No, three variables are needed. Don't worry about retyping the expansion.

One more thing: Are you familiar with vector calculus and the gradient, divergence, and curl operations?

Likes ognik
Thanks George, Edited original, and am familiar with those operators

The three variables ##x##, ##y##, and ##z## can be thought of as comprising one vector, i.e., ##\vec{r} = \left( x,y,z \right)## and ##\vec{r_0} = \left( a,b,c \right)##. Then ##f\left( x,y,z \right)## and ##f\left( a,b,c \right)## become ##f \left(\vec{r}\right)## and ##f \left(\vec{r_0}\right)##.

Also, ##\vec{r} - \vec{r_0} = \left( x - a,y-b,z-c \right)## and the gradient of ##f## evaluated (gradient first, then evaluation) at ##\vec{r_0} = \left( a,b,c \right)## is the vector

$$\left(\nabla f\right)_{\vec{r_0}} = \left( f_x \left( a,b,c \right), f_y \left( a,b,c \right), f_z \left( a,b,c \right) \right).$$

Consequently,

$$\left( \vec{r} - \vec{r_0} \right) \cdot \left(\nabla f\right)_{\vec{r_0}} = \left(x - a\right) f_x \left( a,b,c \right) + \left(y - b\right) f_y \left( a,b,c \right) +\left(z - c\right) f_z \left( a,b,c \right), $$

and, in new mod attire, the Taylor expansion for ##f## that you posted becomes

$$f \left(\vec{r}\right) = f \left(\vec{r_0}\right) + \left( \vec{r} - \vec{r_0} \right) \cdot \left(\nabla f\right)_{\vec{r_0}} + ...$$

If anything in the above is unclear, let me know.

Likes ognik
Very helpful, thanks George, the chapter is now clear to me - I had been thinking only in 1-D along the x-axis

afterthought question please, is my notation correct when I wrote ## \vec{\bar{k}} ## ? Or should it be ## \bar{\vec{k}} ## or something else?

Apologies, spoke too soon.
The text has a common Fourier transform equation ## \psi (\vec{r},t) = \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^{\frac{3}{2}}} \int \phi (\vec{k}) e^{i(\vec{k} \cdot \vec{r} - \omega t)} d^3k ##
They substitute ## \omega(\vec{k})=\bar{\omega} + (\vec{k} - \vec{\bar{k}})\cdot \vec{\nabla_{\bar{k}}} \bar{\omega} +... ## into the above, and get a result I can't get - ## \psi (\vec{r},t) = exp(-i \bar{\omega}t + i \bar{\vec{k}} \cdot \nabla_{\bar{k}} \bar{\omega}t) \psi(\vec{r} - \nabla_{\bar{k}}t, 0) ##

I instead get as far as ## \frac{e^{-i \bar{\omega}t}} {(2 \pi)^\frac{3}{2}} \int \phi(\vec{k}) e^{i (\vec{k} \cdot \vec{r} - \vec{k}
\nabla_{\bar{k}} \bar{\omega}t + \bar{k} {\nabla}_{\bar{k}} \bar{\omega}t) } d^3k ##

Could you help me bridge that gap please?

I have reviewed this and made more progress, still can't quite see all of it.
If I extract ## exp(-i \bar{\omega}t + i \bar{\vec{k}} \cdot \nabla_{\bar{k}} \bar{\omega}t) ## I am left with something close to the original FT, except it looks like

## \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^{\frac{3}{2}}} \int \phi (\vec{k}) e^{i(\vec{k} \cdot \vec{r} - \vec{k}\nabla_{\bar{k}} \bar{\omega}t)} d^3k ##

The text says this latter ## = \psi(\vec{r} - \nabla_{\bar{k}} \bar{\omega}t, 0) ## - but the ## \vec{k} ## wasn't dotted with the ## \nabla ## term?

Also they set t=0, but then leave the t in the ## \nabla ## term?

Please try and explain this to me? Thanks

ognik said:
I have reviewed this and made more progress, still can't quite see all of it.
If I extract ## exp(-i \bar{\omega}t + i \bar{\vec{k}} \cdot \nabla_{\bar{k}} \bar{\omega}t) ## I am left with something close to the original FT, except it looks like

## \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^{\frac{3}{2}}} \int \phi (\vec{k}) e^{i(\vec{k} \cdot \vec{r} - \vec{k}\nabla_{\bar{k}} \bar{\omega}t)} d^3k ##

The text says this latter ## = \psi(\vec{r} - \nabla_{\bar{k}} \bar{\omega}t, 0) ## - but the ## \vec{k} ## wasn't dotted with the ## \nabla ## term?

Also they set t=0, but then leave the t in the ## \nabla ## term?

Please try and explain this to me? Thanks
So, you have
$$
\exp(-i \bar{\omega}t + i \bar{\vec{k}} \cdot \nabla_{\bar{k}} \bar{\omega}t)
\frac{1}{(2 \pi)^{\frac{3}{2}}} \int \phi (\vec{k}) e^{i(\vec{k} \cdot \vec{r} - \vec{k}\cdot \nabla_{\bar{k}} \bar{\omega}t)} d^3k
$$
Note that ##\vec{k}## is dotted with ##\nabla_{\bar{k}} \bar{\omega}## in the integrand. The integral can further be written as
$$
\int \phi (\vec{k}) e^{i\vec{k}\cdot(\vec{r} - \nabla_{\bar{k}} \bar{\omega}t)} d^3k
$$
At the same time you have the Fourier transform equation
$$
\psi (\vec{r},t) = \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^{\frac{3}{2}}} \int \phi (\vec{k}) e^{i(\vec{k} \cdot \vec{r} - \omega t)} d^3k
$$
If, in the above equation, you replace ##\vec{r}## with ##\vec{r} - \nabla_{\bar{k}} \bar{\omega}t## and ##t## with ##0##, you should see that
$$
\int \phi (\vec{k}) e^{i\vec{k}\cdot(\vec{r} - \nabla_{\bar{k}} \bar{\omega}t)} d^3k = \psi (\vec{r} - \nabla_{\bar{k}} \bar{\omega}t,0).
$$

Thanks blue_leaf.

1. Why can we set the t in (r, t) to 0, but leave the t in ##\Delta_{\bar{k}} \bar{\omega}t ## ?

2. is my notation correct when I wrote ## \vec{\bar{k}} ## ? Or should it be ## \bar{\vec{k}} ##, or something else?

ognik said:
1. Why can we set the t in (r, t) to 0, but leave the t in Δ¯k¯ωtΔk¯ω¯t\Delta_{\bar{k}} \bar{\omega}t ?
You are simply comparing
$$
\int \phi (\vec{k}) e^{i\vec{k}\cdot(\vec{r} - \nabla_{\bar{k}} \bar{\omega}t)} e^{-i\omega (0)}d^3k
$$
with
$$
\int \phi (\vec{k}) e^{i\vec{k} \cdot \vec{r}} e^{-i\omega t} d^3k
$$
ognik said:
2. is my notation correct when I wrote ⃗¯kk¯→ \vec{\bar{k}} ? Or should it be ¯⃗kk→¯ \bar{\vec{k}} , or something else?
I don't know if that really matters, but I personally would use the second one.

Likes ognik

Related to Wave Packet Expansion Homework - Understand Abbreviations

1. What is a wave packet expansion?

A wave packet expansion is a mathematical technique used to describe the behavior of a quantum system, specifically the motion of a particle. It involves breaking down the wave function of the particle into a series of simpler wave functions, each representing a different energy state.

2. How is a wave packet expansion used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, a wave packet expansion is used to study the behavior of particles in a potential energy field. It allows us to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain energy state at a given time.

3. What do the abbreviations in wave packet expansion stand for?

The abbreviations in wave packet expansion stand for different mathematical terms:

• WPE: Wave Packet Expansion
  • HO: Harmonic Oscillator
  • E: Energy
  • n: Energy level or state
  • x: Position
  • p: Momentum
  • ℏ: Reduced Planck's constant

4. What are the benefits of using wave packet expansion in quantum mechanics?

Wave packet expansion allows us to simplify complex wave functions and calculate the probability of finding a particle in different energy states. It also helps us understand the behavior of particles in potential energy fields and make predictions about their motion.

5. Can wave packet expansion be applied to any quantum system?

Yes, wave packet expansion can be applied to any quantum system as long as it is described by a wave function. However, it is most commonly used in systems with a known potential energy function, such as a harmonic oscillator.