Effective Design Checking Techniques for Mechanical Engineers

• Thread starter scar3850
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
In summary, the conversation is about a mechanical engineer who is responsible for designing and creating assemblies and drawings for machines and fixtures. They struggle with making mistakes in their designs, especially when they have a lot of work to handle. The engineer is seeking advice on a good methodology or rubric for reviewing designs and ensuring that everything fits and works as intended. Suggestions include being detailed in CAD modeling, creating motion profiles, and making a hard copy print of assembly drawings to compare mating dimensions. It is also recommended to create a release checklist to avoid forgetting critical points. The conversation highlights the importance of training and having a second set of eyes to review drawings before release.
scar3850
Hello,

I Have been working as a mechanical engineer for 3 years at an OEM shop and I graduated in 2013.
I am the sole engineer responsible for both coming up with designs as well as coming up with assemblies and drawings for the machines and fixtures we create. A pitfall I come across is making dumb mistakes when designing whole assemblies (collisions, poor fit of parts). This is especially true when we have a lot of hot jobs and I have to juggle a bunch of assemblies. My question is whether anyone as a good methodology or rubric for reviewing designs and making sure everything fits and works as intended.

TLDR: Anyone have a good methodology or rubric for reviewing designs and making sure everything fits and works as intended.

Engineering news on Phys.org
One method I use often is to be extra detailed in your CAD model design work, especially the assembly design work and mating conditions. I find that accurate CAD models (especially vendor parts) can help you avoid potential issues; more importantly, inaccurate CAD models (especially vendor parts) will bite you in the end.

Do you create assembly models right now, and if so, do you create motion profiles and make the parts move as intended in the CAD design?

You are in a really difficult situation because there is no substitute for a second set of eyes reviewing your drawings before release. My normal answer with regard to the assembly fits would be to make a spreadsheet worst fit analysis; but, that can be very time consuming as well.

Assuming you are using CAD, because everyone does these days, I recommend not try to check your drawings on your computer screen. It is essentially impossible to do a good job of checking while looking a such a compressed view of a drawing; and, gives you no opportunity for mating drawing comparisons.

Before your final checking and sign off, make a hard copy print of all of the assembly parts drawings so that you can place the drawings of adjoining parts next to the one another and compare their mating dimensions for fit. That way you are basically checking two drawings at a time while comparing your mating dimensions; and, you have the option of red lining your full assembly set of parts drawings before going back and correcting your CAD versions.

Likes Tom.G and Bandit127
If you find you consistently forget to do certain things, consider making a release checklist. Some of those items on the checklist might be...

1. check intersecting gear tolerances
2. double check screw lengths

etc. going through the checklist will remind you to double check certain critical points.

donpacino said:
2. double check screw lengths.

Always double check screw lengths! I've been bitten by this more than a couple times...

Likes donpacino
Well first of all. How do you work? What is your current procedure?

If you are the sole engineer and you realize that you are running into challenges, it would highlight that training is needed. Design for assembly, interface analysis etc.

Last edited:
Mech_Engineer said:
One method I use often is to be extra detailed in your CAD model design work, especially the assembly design work and mating conditions. I find that accurate CAD models (especially vendor parts) can help you avoid potential issues; more importantly, inaccurate CAD models (especially vendor parts) will bite you in the end.

Do you create assembly models right now, and if so, do you create motion profiles and make the parts move as intended in the CAD design?

Thanks for your reply. Yes this is definitely something I've noticed. I do try to add in all the vendor components i can get models for. I do implement accurate mates but I have not created motion profiles. What I would really like to do is develop a criteria or rubric which I can use to make sure I am paying attention to the right things.

JBA said:
You are in a really difficult situation because there is no substitute for a second set of eyes reviewing your drawings before release. My normal answer with regard to the assembly fits would be to make a spreadsheet worst fit analysis; but, that can be very time consuming as well.

Assuming you are using CAD, because everyone does these days, I recommend not try to check your drawings on your computer screen. It is essentially impossible to do a good job of checking while looking a such a compressed view of a drawing; and, gives you no opportunity for mating drawing comparisons.

Before your final checking and sign off, make a hard copy print of all of the assembly parts drawings so that you can place the drawings of adjoining parts next to the one another and compare their mating dimensions for fit. That way you are basically checking two drawings at a time while comparing your mating dimensions; and, you have the option of red lining your full assembly set of parts drawings before going back and correcting your CAD versions.

Thanks for the advice this is definitely something that helps as

donpacino said:
If you find you consistently forget to do certain things, consider making a release checklist. Some of those items on the checklist might be...

1. check intersecting gear tolerances
2. double check screw lengths

etc. going through the checklist will remind you to double check certain critical points.

Yes that is exactly what I'm trying to do. You bring up a good point as far as looking at the types of mistakes I make in order to develop my criteria.

1. What are the key elements to consider when performing design checks for mechanical engineering projects?

When conducting design checks, it is important to consider factors such as structural integrity, functionality, safety, manufacturability, and cost-effectiveness. These elements are crucial in ensuring the overall effectiveness of a mechanical design.

2. How can design verification and validation be incorporated into the design checking process?

Verification and validation can be incorporated into the design checking process by using methods such as prototyping, simulation, and testing. These techniques help to identify and address any potential design flaws before the final product is manufactured.

3. What role do standards and codes play in design checking for mechanical engineers?

Standards and codes provide guidelines and regulations for the design and construction of mechanical systems. They help to ensure that designs are safe, reliable, and meet industry standards. Therefore, it is important for mechanical engineers to adhere to these standards when performing design checks.

4. How can collaboration with other engineers and experts enhance the effectiveness of design checking?

Collaboration with other engineers and experts can bring fresh perspectives and ideas to the design checking process. By working together, engineers can identify potential issues or improvements that may have been overlooked by an individual. This can lead to more robust and efficient design solutions.

5. What are some common challenges faced during design checking for mechanical engineers?

Some common challenges faced during design checking include time constraints, budget limitations, and conflicting design requirements. It is important for mechanical engineers to prioritize and effectively manage these challenges to ensure the success of the design checking process.