Designations after name on business cards

In summary: But in the US, we usually use only a professional designation (e.g. Engineer, Professor, Doctor).In summary, In the US, professional designations are usually the only thing on a business card.
cpscdave
Hi everyone
hoping for some input here.
I'm the process of ordering some business cards and am wondering what makes sense to include as designations after my name.
I am an Engineer In Training based on local rules (Alberta, Canada)
Prior to getting my B.Eng I also have a BSc in Computer science. While my job doesn't explicitly require Comp sci, it will be a benefit.

What should I include after my name and what would be the format?
I was thinking one of:
David Robertson, BSc., B.Eng, EIT
... BSc., B.Eng
... B.Eng, EIT

Thanks for your input :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The business card is a form of promotional material ... it is advertising.
What you put on it depends on what you want to advertise.

I guess you could microprint your resume on the back of the card. :)

Some people put a qr code on their cards for just that purpose.

Never put degrees on your business card in N. America but do put professional designations.

Very often less is more... I'm reminded of the business card scene in American Psycho.

alan2 said:
Never put degrees on your business card in N. America but do put professional designations.
I agree with this. EIT is a bit pretentious, IMO, but I've seen engineers put PE after their names once they're licensed. Your degrees and other educational achievements belong on your resume. Like Simon says, some people print their resumes in QR code on the back of their business cards.

In NZ people put all their degrees after their names on their cards or nothing at all.
Titles go in front - occasionally the honor will follow. But I've always thought it looks nice just to print your name, with your job title or professional designation underneith.

I've had an academic card that had all my degrees (in a smaller font size) after my name and a commercial one with just "Consultant" under my name. I maintain it's advertising - print the card according to your market research: who will be reading it and what for? How do you want them to respond?

I once put my resume and sample work on a business-card sized CD ... that just had my name and contact on the front.
After all: Rt.Hon Sir Simon Bridge OBE MSc BBM ... somehow that seems a bit much.

I would so do that if I were King of the Engineers. o0)

You guys have nailed exactly my confusion.
Its a fine line between selling yourself short vs sounding pretentious :)
I do appreciate the input!

That would be HRH SteamKing ... no more letters needed.

Likes SteamKing
@cpscdave its not a line, its fractal.
many people have business cards for their different markets.

Think what you want someone to use the card for... really you just need your name and contact, and a bit of context like your professional position. Is the card for introductions, reminders, or to tout for business... pick one.

alan2 said:

It is very common for Electrical Engineers (at least in the US) to put Ph.D. on their business cards is they have one. I'm never seen anyone put BS or MS, though.

Simon Bridge said:
That would be HRH SteamKing ... no more letters needed.

Lay people like me usually thinking HM, but I don't know what protocol is for business cards.

You are strictly correct, for the reigning monarch especially.
hrh would be for princes etc.

Steamking could aspire to the iron throne though... which would be HG.

In a monarchy, the king can have whatever letters he wants.

1. What do the letters after a person's name on a business card mean?

The letters after a person's name on a business card are called designations and they typically represent a person's professional qualifications or credentials. These designations can indicate a person's level of education, expertise, or membership in a specific professional organization.

2. How do I know which designation to use after my name on a business card?

The designation you use after your name on a business card should be relevant to your field of work and represent your highest level of education or professional achievement. If you have multiple designations, you can choose to include the one that is most recognized or valued in your industry.

3. Can I use designations on my business card even if I am not currently working in that field?

It is generally acceptable to include designations on your business card even if you are not currently working in that field. However, it is important to make sure that the designations you use accurately reflect your qualifications and are not misleading to potential clients or employers.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for using designations after my name on a business card?

While there are no set rules for using designations on business cards, it is important to follow any guidelines set by your professional organization or licensing board. Additionally, it is best to use only relevant and accurate designations and avoid using too many letters after your name, which can be overwhelming and confusing for others.

5. Can I include multiple designations after my name on a business card?

Yes, you can include multiple designations after your name on a business card as long as they are relevant and accurately reflect your qualifications. However, it is important to avoid using too many designations, as this can make your business card appear cluttered and may not effectively communicate your expertise.