Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Designing a battery operated solenoid

1. Nov 22, 2008 #1
    I want to develop a solenoid for push application. the required push is around 5kg by electromagnet. We can use a combination of permenant magnet and electromagnet to optimize the design with respect to area and power consumption. For eg. the solenoid can push a permenant magnet also.

Actuall i had the following line of thaught....

i believe solenoids is small tunnel of coils that produce magnetic field when energised. by using an iron core instead of air, the power will increase. now if i connect a strong permenant magnet to the iron core such the magnet will experience repelling force from the solenoid, then the electric power requirement will reduce further.

The required stroke is of 1-2 inches by appling around 3 to 5kg force.

The electromagnet has to run on 6 volts, that is 4 AA batteries and consume around 200 to 300 mAmps. The dutly cycle will be 25% under normal operation

Can any one please guide on how to build it?

Is there any website that can guide me on the design parameters of solenoids

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

5kg is a lot of force to get out of 4 AA batteries... not sure you can get that kind of force out of a solenoid and only 300mA.

This intro page will get you started on solenoid design, and it has pointers out to other articles that hopefully will help you start to do some calculations of force:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solenoid

Also, to turn a solenoid from a "puller" into a "pusher", just add a non-ferrous piece to the rod, with the non-ferrous piece inside the hollow coil at rest. When you activate the solenoid, that pulls the ferrous part of the rod into the solenoid, which pushes the non-ferrous part of the rod out the other end. You could use Aluminum and Iron for the two parts of the rod...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?