How to Design a Solenoid for an Electric Door Lock Releaser?

  • Thread starter Thread starter I_am_learning
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Practical Solenoid
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
I_am_learning
Messages
681
Reaction score
16
I am trying to make a an electric door lock releaser. I am going to use a solenoid to make an electromagnet that will pull down a handle to release the lock. The electromagnet has to act from a distance of 1 cm. And it has to impart a force of at least 10 N. The problem is to design the electromagnet to operate at 12v. I mean to ask, how many turns of wire?, what diameter of wire and the iron-core?. Whats the method to find them?
 
Attachments
  • question.png
    question.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 513
Engineering news on Phys.org
Put it in short my question is--
, Given a solenoid, you can find the magnetic field strength by B = uNI.
But How do I calculate how much force this field will impart in a piece of iron some distance away?