Soft iron vs copper core for solenoid launching magnetic ball

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 4K views
d4rr3n
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
So I want to fire a magnetic ball through a solenoid coil but want to know if core material can enhance the performance. Would wire wrapped around soft Iron tube core work better then say a thin copper tube?

The aim is to increase efficiency so less power needs to be used to fire the magnetic ball, and yes I know the ball would be attracted to the Iron.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
<puzzled> The iron core will stop the ball from going through the solenoid though.
 
d4rr3n said:
So I want to fire a magnetic ball through a solenoid coil but want to know if core material can enhance the performance. Would wire wrapped around soft Iron tube core work better then say a thin copper tube?

The aim is to increase efficiency so less power needs to be used to fire the magnetic ball, and yes I know the ball would be attracted to the Iron.

What is the context of your question? Why do you want to fire a metal ball?
 
Simon Bridge said:
<puzzled> The iron core will stop the ball from going through the solenoid though.

I clearly said it's a tube, an Iron tube.
 
berkeman said:
What is the context of your question? Why do you want to fire a metal ball?

I don't want to fire a metal ball, I want to fire a magnet
 
d4rr3n said:
I clearly said it's a tube, an Iron tube.
... fair enough: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=75339

What is the context of your question? Why do you want to fire a metal ball?
d4rr3n said:
I don't want to fire a metal ball, I want to fire a magnet
... OK then, What is the context of your question? Why do you want to fire a magnet?
 
Hog,you mean shield?

I know that in a standard solenoid an Iron core (tube) improves performance but a solenoid is accelerating an Iron piston, I'm wondering if its accelerating a magnetised piston will this change.
 
Would progressive fields activated by the magnet's position be used or is it one field? The magnet could activate the next propelling field by a ferric trigger. Spacing fields/triggers would take some work but that would be interesting. The dynamics of the unstable rolling magnet will be a problem with the pole being unlocked. Perhaps a sacrificial container jacket for ball on its ride up the pipe to stabilize the pole for magnetic field synch over progressive propulsion fields.
 
"Hog" as in the iron gathers all the field lines like a partner hogs the blankets.
That's how the shielding effect happens and also how iron slugs help.
Having a megneic piston changes too many variables to comment - you'll have to do it and see.

homemade is talking about linear accelerator design - you don't need triggers though, just a timer.
I believe your original question has been answered.