1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Designing a matching circuit for maximum power transfer

1. Feb 3, 2012 #1
    Hello.

I need to design a matching circuit to provide maximum power transfer from a generator with impedance Zg to a load with impedance ZL. The matching circuit has a length of transmission line with impedance Z0 and short circuit or open circuit stub with impedance Zs. I need to design with a short circuit stub and then an open circuit stub.

I am just not sure how to match Zg to ZL. I now if I was matching to just a line with impedance Z0, I would find the normalised impedance. Plot that point on the Smith chart, drawing a circile of that radius. Then, where that circuit crosses the 1 + jx circle, I can find the lengths of stubs needed, and the distances.

But I am just not sure if it is the same process for matching Zg to ZL. And I am not sure about the maximum power transfer.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks
    -S

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can the stub be located anywhere between the source and the load, or is it to be at the source or load end?

4. Feb 4, 2012 #3
    I'm pretty sure it can be located anywhere between the source and load.

-S

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook