Designing a Tensile Test for an Aluminum Rod to Withstand 200kN Force

In summary, the design requirements for the aluminium rod include withstanding a force of 200kN, a maximum allowable stress of 170MPa, and a strain of 0.0025mm.mm^-1. The rod must also be at least 3.8m long and deform elastically no more than 6mm when the force is applied. To meet these requirements, the rod should have a gauge length of 3796.51mm and a cross-sectional area of 0.0012msquared. However, it is important to also consider the force of 200kN when determining the appropriate design of the rod.
Elitisi Piuela
Homework posted in wrong forum, so no template
I'm asked to design a rod, it is aluminium and it is to withstand force of 200kN.
maximum allowable stress is 170MPa with a strain of 0.0025mm.mm^-1
rod must be at least 3.8m long but must deform elastically no more than 6mm when the force is applied.

UTS = 170 MPa
e = 0.0025mm.mm^-1
F = 200kN
Lf = 6mm + 3.8m (?)
Lo = 3796.5087mm (?)
Gauge length = Lo ??
I'm unsure about the gauge length, Lo and Lf
do i need to also consider the force 200kN

Physics news on Phys.org
Elitisi Piuela said:
it is to withstand force of 200kN.
Applied how? I'll assume this is tension.
Elitisi Piuela said:
maximum allowable stress is 170MPa
I'm not quite sure what that is saying. Is it that at a tension of 200kN the stress must be no more than 170MPa? What does that tell you about the cross-section?
Elitisi Piuela said:
with a strain of 0.0025mm.mm^-1
Elitisi Piuela said:
at least 3.8m long but must deform elastically no more than 6mm when the force is applied
I'm unclear how those two relate. The first seems to say that at 200kN tension the rod must not extend more than 0.25%, while the second says it must not extend more than 6/38 %, or about .15%.
Elitisi Piuela said:
do i need to also consider the force 200kN
Since it must withstand that force, that seems a rather crucial consideration.

I've come up with Lo = 3796.51mm and Ao = 0.0012msquared
using the formulas:
e = Δgaugelength/initial length (taking that Δgaugelength = 3.8m + 6mm)
σ = P/Ao (P=0.2MN , σ = 170MN/msquared)

is this right?

Elitisi Piuela said:
I've come up with Lo = 3796.51mm and Ao = 0.0012msquared
using the formulas:
e = Δgaugelength/initial length (taking that Δgaugelength = 3.8m + 6mm)
σ = P/Ao (P=0.2MN , σ = 170MN/msquared)

is this right?
That satisfies the max allowable stress, but what will the extension be if at that stress it extends 2.5 mm/m?

Related to Designing a Tensile Test for an Aluminum Rod to Withstand 200kN Force

1. What is tensile testing?

Tensile testing is a type of mechanical test that measures the strength and ductility of a material by pulling it until it breaks. It is commonly used to determine the quality and performance of materials such as metals, plastics, and composites.

2. Why is tensile testing important?

Tensile testing is important because it helps engineers and scientists understand the behavior of materials under different types of stress. This information is crucial in designing and manufacturing products that are safe and reliable.

3. How is tensile testing performed?

Tensile testing is typically performed using a specialized machine called a tensile testing machine. The material is clamped at both ends and pulled until it breaks. The force and elongation are continuously measured and recorded to create a stress-strain curve.

4. What are the parameters measured in tensile testing?

The parameters measured in tensile testing include ultimate tensile strength, yield strength, and elongation. Ultimate tensile strength is the maximum stress that the material can withstand before breaking. Yield strength is the stress at which the material begins to deform permanently. Elongation is the amount of deformation the material undergoes before breaking.

5. What are some common applications of tensile testing?

Tensile testing has a wide range of applications in various industries, including aerospace, automotive, construction, and manufacturing. It is used to test the strength and quality of materials used in these industries, as well as in research and development for new materials and products.