1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Designing a three phase permenent magnet generator

1. Feb 18, 2006 #1
    I am designing a three phase permenent magnet generator , and have a question.
    as a magnet pair passes over a coil , inducing a voltage, that voltage is most dependent on ?
    1) the angular velocity ( thats a given)
    2) the pole strength
    3) flux density
    4) energy product.
    5) thickness of the magnet ( not the width / length or diameter)

Assuming the diameter of the magnet is in the correct proportion to the coil for a three phase generator how is the the thickness of the magnet related to the induced voltage?
    I have experimented with this , using 7/8" dia x 1/2" and 7/8" dia x 1" NdFeB magnets , with the same air gap , same coil , doubling the thickness only produced a 15 percent increase in voltage . why?
    I was expecting to double the induced voltage .

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you provide a simple diagram of the geometry. It may just be that you are adding the extra thickness at a greater distance from the coil, and hence, not providing twice the field at the coil.

4. Feb 18, 2006 #3
    yes i have diagrams , but would like to ask first , are my thoughts on doubling the thickness , and hence getting double the voltage , essentially correct?

5. Feb 19, 2006 #4
    Gokul43201,
    have you checked your private messages , i sent you one on feb 7th.
    i dont know who else to turn to for an answer, the gap is adjustable and is essentially the same @ 0.460" , for both tests.
    my test coils are 0.390" thick. i have several.
    0.035" space top and bottom..
    this is a dual rotor machine 24 poles , 48 magnets
    magnets are 7/8" dia , coils are 1.75" dia,with a 7/8" hole
    rotors are 10.8" dia

6. Feb 23, 2006 #5
    Thanks for the reply , i really appreciate it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook