Desktop Site: Find the Link Here!

• Thread starter robbierobb
  • Start date
In summary, the mobile site is difficult to use because it is set to large size and the font is too large.
robbierobb
Do you by any chance have a link to the desktop site? I really don't like the mobile layout. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Which aspects of the layout do you not like?

robbierobb said:
I really don't like the mobile layout. :(
Do you mean the PF mobile app, or PF viewed in a web browser (Firefox, Safari, etc.) on a mobile device?

And what don't you like about the layout? Maybe it's something that can be tweaked.

I often read PF on my iPhone using Safari. My main problem with it is that writing posts is clunky because I can type a lot faster using a desktop keyboard. But that's a general problem with touch-screen devices, not just PF.

Last edited:
robbierobb said:
It's just the same. :( maybe this is the desktop site then.
The display on your laptop using that link is the same as what you see on your phone? Not so for me (thank goodness)...

If it looks roughly like this you have the desktop version:

pf.png

If not, your device might always request the mobile version - that is a setting of your device you can change.

Attachments

• pf.png
    pf.png
    13 KB · Views: 434
It looks the same but lots of the icons and fonts are large even though I have my phone display set to smallest. For example when you write the title of a threat the font is very large, where as the text inside the text box is small, so you can only write two of three words without being able to read the rest of the thread. It all just looks very large and clunky.

Are you referring to this?

3E8EF075-D35D-419B-AD6D-39915B28ED41.png

The prefix tag does take a lot of space in the thread title box. Maybe that box can be expanded to two lines.

At the moment, the site owner/manager @Greg Bernhardt is traveling, but maybe he can do something when he returns.

(And thanks for giving me an excuse to learn how to take screenshots on my iPhone!)

Attachments

• 3E8EF075-D35D-419B-AD6D-39915B28ED41.png
    3E8EF075-D35D-419B-AD6D-39915B28ED41.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 411
I had a couple of opportunities to visit and go through the www.physicsforums.com site on a small handheld mobile device.
Terrible! Absolutely Terrible.

Just fine when done on "laptop" computer or a desktop computer.

symbolipoint said:
Terrible! Absolutely Terrible.
We have plans to revamp end of year and know of many issues, but what issues do you see.

Greg Bernhardt said:
We have plans to revamp end of year and know of many issues, but what issues do you see.
I can't remember but the site was just difficult on the small mobile device. MAYBE I just have a poor mobile device. It was very cheap to buy and most things to use on it are difficult, including its keyboard.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Well it's like the desktop site but everything is set to large size instead of small. So the icons, the text boxes, the menu, everything is large and cramped together. I've visited this site on occasion in the past, the old desktop site was a lot better, and that was on an iPhone 5S, I'm currently on a Galaxy S7.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Did you chance some zoom settings?
Can you post a screenshot?

1. What is a desktop site?

A desktop site is a version of a website that is specifically designed to be viewed on a computer or laptop, rather than a mobile device. It often has a larger layout and more features than a mobile site.

2. How do I find the link to the desktop site?

The link to the desktop site can usually be found at the bottom of the mobile site or in the menu options. It may also automatically redirect to the desktop site if you are using a computer or laptop.

3. Why do I need to use the desktop site?

Some features or functions may only be available on the desktop site, such as editing your profile or accessing certain pages. Additionally, some websites may not have a mobile-friendly version, so the desktop site is the only option.

4. Can I switch between the mobile and desktop site?

Yes, you can switch between the mobile and desktop site by clicking on the link to switch versions. However, some websites may not have this option and will automatically redirect to the version that is most suitable for your device.

5. Is the desktop site the same as the mobile site?

No, the desktop site and mobile site may have different layouts, features, and content. The desktop site is typically designed for a larger screen and may have more options, while the mobile site is designed for smaller screens and may have a more simplified layout.