Why is the intensity of waves in destructive interference still 2(A^2)?

• Thread starter desmond iking
  • Start date
In summary: I think it is asking you to calculate the average intensity of the waves shown in the third diagram. (Assuming you know the formula for average intensity.)In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of destructive interference and how it affects the intensity of waves. It is explained that destructive interference need not be completely destructive and can still have an intensity of 2(A^2). The use of average intensity is also brought up and its relationship to power and area is explained. The conversation ends with a question about the phase difference needed for no interference.
desmond iking

Homework Statement

i don't understand why the intensity of waves due to destructive inteference is still 2(A^2 )... since this is destructive inteference why not the wave intensity=0? both waves are of same amplitude but antiphase. Am i right?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• fffv.jpg
    fffv.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 397
  • rr.jpg
    rr.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 402
Physics news on Phys.org
destructuve interference need not be completely destructive... I think the phase diagram in your second pic shuld make the situation plain.
However, I cannot read the writing in the pics.

Agree---pics too small.

Simon Bridge said:
destructuve interference need not be completely destructive... I think the phase diagram in your second pic shuld make the situation plain.
However, I cannot read the writing in the pics.
here's the clearer pics. hopefully you can help.

i don't understand why the intensity of waves due to destructive inteference is still 2(A^2 )... since this is destructive inteference why not the wave intensity=0? both waves are of same amplitude but antiphase. Am i right?
refer to the third pic

Attachments

• lloo.jpg
    lloo.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 379
  • ;kkhg.png
    ;kkhg.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_20140629_110559.jpg
    IMG_20140629_110559.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 384
  • ppp.png
    ppp.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 395
Part (b) has two section - one where the phase difference produces total destructive interference and another where the phase difference is one-third that required for total destructive interference.
Since 180deg is required for total destruction, one-third of this is 60deg which is the phase difference shown in the third pic.

Likes 1 person
Simon Bridge said:
Part (b) has two section - one where the phase difference produces total destructive interference and another where the phase difference is one-third that required for total destructive interference.
Since 180deg is required for total destruction, one-third of this is 60deg which is the phase difference shown in the third pic.

sorry. i still don't understand. can you explain further? i can't understand why the average amplitude is as in the photo,

since three vector in the same direction, i would do in this way,
adding up all the vector in clockwise direction, i would get 3(A^2)-(A^2)+(A^2)=3(A^2) magnitude of y1-y2=3(A^2) whereas y1=y2=(A^2)

Attachments

• llooomnmn.jpg
    llooomnmn.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
why average intensity is used? and i don't understand how is the average intensity calculated.

Question b(ii) concerns power carried by the waves.
How is the power related to the intensity?

Simon Bridge said:
Question b(ii) concerns power carried by the waves.
How is the power related to the intensity?
intensity=power/area

why average intensity is used? and i don't understand how is the average intensity calculated.

why can't the phase difference of pi/3 leads to constructive intefreence?

Last edited:
intensity=power/area
When it is a wave - the intensity is the average power (over one wavelength), per unit area.

##P=I_{ave}A##

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intensity_(physics )
http://webpages.ursinus.edu/lriley/courses/p212/lectures/node18.html

The instantaneous intensity is proportional to the instantaneous amplitude squared.
For a stationary target, this will increase and decrease as the wave arrives.
i.e waves arriving at the beach deliver energy in surges, back and forth.

Last edited by a moderator:
do you mean the author is finding the average intensity of constructive superposition and desrtuctive superposition? where constructive superposition leads to 3A^2 , and destructive superposition leads to A^2 ?

Simon Bridge said:
When it is a wave - the intensity is the average power (over one wavelength), per unit area.

##P=I_{ave}A##

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intensity_(physics )
http://webpages.ursinus.edu/lriley/courses/p212/lectures/node18.html

The instantaneous intensity is proportional to the instantaneous amplitude squared.
For a stationary target, this will increase and decrease as the wave arrives.
i.e waves arriving at the beach deliver energy in surges, back and forth.
the upper part is for constructive superposition, the lower part is for desrtuctive superposition, the upper part shows phase difference of 60 degree... but the lower part shows phase difference of 120. (but not 60 degree) how can this happen? I know that constructive superposition occurs when phase difference less than 180 degree. Whereas destructive superposition occurs when phase difference more than 180.. is my conceptand working correct?

Attachments

• IMG_20140630_050053[1].jpg
    IMG_20140630_050053[1].jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 369
Last edited by a moderator:
A phase difference greater than 180° is the same as a phase difference less than 180°. For example, phase difference of 200° is the same as a phase difference of 160°.

Perhaps generalize the topic this way:

When a pair of sine waves each of amplitude A superimpose at some point such that the resultant sine wave has

(i) an amplitude > A then we have constructive interference;

(ii) an amplitude < A then we have destructive interference;

(iii) an amplitude = A then we have no interference. :smile:

Question for desmond iking: What phase difference is needed to give condition (iii)?

Likes 1 person

NascentOxygen said:
A phase difference greater than 180° is the same as a phase difference less than 180°. For example, phase difference of 200° is the same as a phase difference of 160°.

Perhaps generalize the topic this way:

When a pair of sine waves each of amplitude A superimpose at some point such that the resultant sine wave has

(i) an amplitude > A then we have constructive interference;

(ii) an amplitude < A then we have destructive interference;

(iii) an amplitude = A then we have no interference. :smile:

Question for desmond iking: What phase difference is needed to give condition (iii)?

i can understand why phase angle 160=200.. for the second diagram, i can also say that 120=240 degree... but this doesn't comply with the statement that the phase difference between A1 and A2 is 60

Last edited:
The second diagram seems to show subtracting one from the other, whereas superposition involves addition.

desmond iking said:
do you mean the author is finding the average intensity of constructive superposition and desrtuctive superposition? where constructive superposition leads to 3A^2 , and destructive superposition leads to A^2 ?
Go back t the question - what does it say?

1. What is destructive interference?

Destructive interference is a phenomenon that occurs when two waves of the same frequency and amplitude are combined and their crests and troughs align, resulting in cancellation of the overall amplitude.

2. How does destructive interference differ from constructive interference?

Destructive interference is the opposite of constructive interference, where the crests and troughs of two waves align to create a larger amplitude. In destructive interference, the waves cancel each other out, resulting in a smaller or zero amplitude.

3. What causes destructive interference to occur?

Destructive interference occurs when two waves meet and their amplitudes are out of phase, meaning they are at opposite points in their cycle. This causes them to cancel each other out, resulting in destructive interference.

4. Can destructive interference occur in all types of waves?

Yes, destructive interference can occur in all types of waves, including sound, light, and water waves. As long as two waves of the same frequency and amplitude meet and are out of phase, destructive interference can occur.

5. What are some real-world applications of destructive interference?

Destructive interference is used in noise-cancelling headphones, where a second wave with an inverted phase is used to cancel out background noise. It is also used in acoustics to reduce unwanted sound reflections in buildings and in radio telescopes to improve signal detection.