1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Destructive Interference in Thin Film Interference

1. May 30, 2006 #1
    Two oblong pieces of plane glass are separated from each other by a thin sheet of cellophane and held together with rubber bands, as shown in figure(I provided a website for the figure below), where the amount of separation is much exaggerated. If you place a "sodium vapor lam" vertically above the glass plates, you will observe an alternate series of very close bright and dark lines. A light wave is reflected at point A and simply forms a returning wave. Some of the original light wave crosses the narrow air gap and is reflected at point B. If it advances across the air gap as a trough, then it is reflected at point B as a crest.

Question: The length of the wedge-shaped space between the two glasses is l, the thickness of the thin sheet of cellophane is d, and the distance between point C and point A (or B) is x as shown in the figure.Supposing the result is destructive interference or darkness. Find the relation between x, [tex]\lambda[/tex],l and d.

My idea:
    I think their relation is x=[tex]\frac{l}{2d} \lambda(n + \frac{1}{2}) [/tex]

This is the website: www.geocities.com/willydavidjr/interference.html

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

At A the ray is reflected from rarer medium (air) and at B it is reflected from denser medium (glass). When a wave is reflected from a denser medium an additional path difference of (lembda/2) is to be considered. Did you considered this additional path difference?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?