1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Detect current direction in water

1. Dec 4, 2016 #1
    a bowl is filled with tap water .electric current is made to flow due to electrodes attached to rim of bowl(opposite sides of bowl)
    i have 2 sense pins inserted into the water between the electrodes .
    how can i convert this analog signal(vd across sense pins) to a digital signal to detect direction of current through water and use the signal in a logic circuit?
    the 2 sense pins are fixed in water whereas polarity of supply electrodes is varying with time
    electrode vd is max 5v min -5V. ammeter reads 700 microamps current flowing through water

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2016 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Are you doing this for some project? If budget is not a concern, you can try a hall effect current sensor.

4. Dec 4, 2016 #3
    yes all i need to know is if vd across sense pins is + or -ve
    +ve or 0 vd = high output
    -ve vd = low otput

5. Dec 4, 2016 #4

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Ok so you are interested in only the direction of the current? Not magnitude? Also, are you using a microcontroller?

6. Dec 4, 2016 #5
    no im not
    is there any alternative to adc?

7. Dec 4, 2016 #6

cnh1995

Homework Helper

I don't think so. Do the sensor pins detect current and give voltage as the output? It would be better if you posted a schematic.

8. Dec 4, 2016 #7
    will opamp voltage comparator do the job

9. Dec 5, 2016 #8

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Yes. But it won't be able to read the magnitude of the current. It will sense only the direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted