Detecting CO2 in the atmosphere

In summary: The fire seems to have released about 9000 metric tonnes of CO2 in total.In summary, this forum section talks about a social media post that showed an image of South America with CO2 emissions from the Amazon forest fire. It seems that this image was produced by a satellite that can measure CO2 in the atmosphere. However, some search results seem to contradict this.
HankDorsett
Gold Member
I didn't notice this forum section until just now, I noticed it as I was scrolling down to the general area to ask if anyone knew of a forum that deals with climate science.

What ways can we detect CO2 in the atmosphere. I've seen some social media posts that show an image of South America that shows the amount of CO2 being released in the atmosphere due to the Amazon forest fire. They claim this image was produced by a NASA satellite that can measure CO2 in the atmosphere. Is this possible? I've come across some search results that seem to contradict this.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Bystander said:
This seems to talk about a local measurement of CO2. Do we have satellites that can measure in near real-time CO2 emissions?

HankDorsett said:
This seems to talk about a local measurement of CO2. Do we have satellites that can measure in near real-time CO2 emissions?
To be more precise on my question. Do we have satellites that can globally track CO2 emissions at almost real time and able to produce a heat map?

I only ask this because I've seen a social media post regarding this. This post showed an image of South America with a heat map of CO2 emissions from the Amazon forest fire. I thought if this was actually capable it would be something quite interesting.

No way to tell without seeing the social media post, but if it was the video below one it was the Atmospheric Infrared Sounder (AIRS) instrument on NASA's Aqua satellite measuring carbon monoxide.

glappkaeft said:
No way to tell without seeing the social media post, but if it was the video below one it was the Atmospheric Infrared Sounder (AIRS) instrument on NASA's Aqua satellite measuring carbon monoxide.

That's exactly what they posted. For whatever reason they were claiming it was measuring CO2. Thanks for the verification

earth.nullschool is a pretty nifty tool for monitoring CO and CO2.
They list their sources as: GEOS-5 / GMAO / NASA

Thumbing through the levels by one day increments, it looks as though most of the fires are probably farm burns, as they last only a day.

I digitized one fires CO output over the course of a day, and 3 days worth of CO2 for it and what I assume to be rain forest.

CO.and.CO2.South.America.png

1. How is CO2 detected in the atmosphere?

CO2 in the atmosphere is detected using various methods such as satellite measurements, ground-based measurements with instruments like infrared gas analyzers, and air samples collected from different locations and analyzed in a laboratory.

2. Why is it important to detect CO2 in the atmosphere?

CO2 is a greenhouse gas that contributes to global warming and climate change. By detecting and monitoring its levels in the atmosphere, we can better understand its impact on the environment and take necessary actions to reduce its emissions.

3. How do scientists measure the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere?

Scientists use a unit called parts per million (ppm) to measure the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere. This is the number of CO2 molecules per million molecules of air. They also use various instruments and techniques, such as infrared spectroscopy, to accurately measure and track CO2 levels.

4. What are the main sources of CO2 in the atmosphere?

The main sources of CO2 in the atmosphere are human activities such as burning fossil fuels, deforestation, and industrial processes. These activities release large amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere, contributing to the increase in its concentration.

5. How does detecting CO2 in the atmosphere help in climate change research?

Detecting CO2 in the atmosphere is crucial for climate change research as it provides valuable data on the Earth's carbon cycle and the impact of human activities on the environment. This data helps scientists make accurate predictions and develop strategies to mitigate the effects of climate change.