Atmospheric CO2 and diurnal Asymmetry

In summary, CO2 appears to have a much greater role after dark than in the daytime. I was wondering if this is because of a CO2 population inversion during the sunlight hours.
johnbbahm
Something that has bothered me is that CO2 appears to have a much greater role after dark than in the daytime. I was wondering if this is because of a CO2 population inversion during the sunlight hours.
I am thinking that Sunlight and daytime blue sky, excite atmospheric nitrogen,
The nitrogen vibration ally passes the energy to CO2, which spontaneously decays back to ground state.
In a CO2 laser, helium is added to speed up the decay of the .2 eV back to ground.
In the atmosphere, there is insufficient helium for this task, and so the CO2 energy cycle would slow down.
The evidence of something like this happening would be 9.6 and 10.6 um emission spectra,
present during sunlight hours, but not after dark.
Does anyone have a source for daytime vs nighttime infrared sky spectra?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
johnbbahm said:
CO2 appears to have a much greater role after dark than in the daytime.
Can you be more specific? E.g. in daylight hours the CO2 would be intercepting IR in both directions, whereas at night it is all from ground.
johnbbahm said:
Sunlight and daytime blue sky, excite atmospheric nitrogen,
Not to any great extent, other than in extreme UV, surely?

haruspex said:
Can you be more specific? E.g. in daylight hours the CO2 would be intercepting IR in both directions, whereas at night it is all from ground.

Not to any great extent, other than in extreme UV, surely?
What I am thinking is that during the sunlight hours, the CO2 quickly gets into a population inversion state,
and a much lower percentage of CO2 molecules are available to intercept IR.
Since the observed diurnal asymmetry is roughly 3:1 night vs daytime warming,(Karl et al 1993) the effective daytime CO2
level would be around 320 ppm.
If this idea is correct, the evidence would be a greater level of 9.6 and 10.6 um atmospheric emissions, during sunlight hours than after sundown.

johnbbahm said:
What I am thinking is that during the sunlight hours, the CO2 quickly gets into a population inversion state,
Why would you say that? First, sunlight is not strong enough (it is not laser light), and second, CO2 can't be considered as a two-level system. Even if there was significant excitation of the molecules, they could still absorb more at the same frequencies (absorption in the IR is mostly related to vibrational excitation).

DrClaude said:
Why would you say that? First, sunlight is not strong enough (it is not laser light), and second, CO2 can't be considered as a two-level system. Even if there was significant excitation of the molecules, they could still absorb more at the same frequencies (absorption in the IR is mostly related to vibrational excitation).
Nitrogen does not need laser light to be excited, simply a photon in it's absorption band (Roughly 3.8 to 5 um)
CO2 does have a meta stable state at the .2 eV level, which can cause a population inversion and limit power in a laser.
Helium is used in the gas mixture, to allow more molecules to get back to ground state where they can be excited again.
The same forces are at work in the atmosphere, but without the helium.
If I am correct, then the excited nitrogen would be vibration ally exciting the CO2 to the .3 eV level, during the sunlight hours.
The evidence of this would be higher levels of 9.6 and 10.6 um bands in the daylight than at night.

johnbbahm said:
CO2 does have a meta stable state at the .2 eV level, which can cause a population inversion
Please give a reference demonstrating that this can happen in the atmosphere.

We know it happens at atmospheric range pressures in the lab, the question is why would it not happen in the atmosphere?
The real question is if the artifacts of these energy transitions are detectable,
i.e. are the 9.6 and 10.6 um bands more pronounced during the sunlight hours?

johnbbahm said:
We know it happens at atmospheric range pressures in the lab, the question is why would it not happen in the atmosphere?
Because we don't have the specific pumping conditions needed for a CO2 laser in the atmosphere.
I asked for a reference, which means a peer-reviewed publication, not for "why not" questions.

Likes Dale
Sorry, Most of the discussions of energy states of atmospheric nitrogen revolve around much higher energy states.
http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1367-2630/11/6/065011/meta
This air fluorescence demonstrates that excited nitrogen exists in the atmosphere.
They even mention that,
"2.2. Fluorescence quenching
Non-radiative molecular de-excitation by collision with other molecules of the medium (collisional quenching) becomes very important even at moderate pressures."
The reasoning is that if we have excited atmospheric nitrogen, as it cycles back to ground state, it can pass energy
to any CO2 molecule it encounters, the question is weather this behavior is asymmetrical with day and night?

johnbbahm said:
the question is weather this behavior is asymmetrical with day and night?
It would clearly be a daytime effect, but is it strong enough to explain the observation you raised in post #1?

Anyway, as I mentioned in post #2, it is not clear what observation you have in mind. Can you be more precise about CO2 having a "greater rôle" at nght?

@johnbbahm: This has nothing to do with the claim of a population inversion, or CO2 in general. I closed this thread, if you find a reference discussing such a population inversion send me a message then I will open the thread again.

Likes DrClaude

1. What is atmospheric CO2 and why is it important?

Atmospheric CO2 refers to the concentration of carbon dioxide in the Earth's atmosphere. It is an important greenhouse gas that helps regulate the Earth's temperature and plays a crucial role in the Earth's climate system.

2. How does atmospheric CO2 affect diurnal asymmetry?

Diurnal asymmetry refers to the difference in temperature between day and night. As atmospheric CO2 levels increase, it traps more heat from the sun, leading to a decrease in diurnal asymmetry. This means that the difference between daytime and nighttime temperatures becomes smaller.

3. What are the main sources of atmospheric CO2?

The main sources of atmospheric CO2 include natural processes such as respiration, volcanic eruptions, and decomposition. However, the burning of fossil fuels for energy and human activities such as deforestation are the primary contributors to the increase in atmospheric CO2 levels.

4. How do scientists measure atmospheric CO2 levels?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure atmospheric CO2 levels, including direct measurements from monitoring stations around the world, satellite observations, and ice core samples. These measurements are then used to calculate global averages and track changes over time.

5. What are the potential impacts of rising atmospheric CO2 levels?

The increase in atmospheric CO2 levels can lead to various impacts, including rising global temperatures, changes in weather patterns, sea level rise, ocean acidification, and impacts on plant and animal life. These effects can have significant consequences for human societies, economies, and the environment.