Detect Prions in Cells: What's the Test?

• Thread starter hivesaeed4
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the task of creating a test to detect prions in a human cell, despite not knowing much about the structure or function of prions. The speaker suggests browsing literature and using Google to find resources for detecting prions, including a histological method, a genetic assay for hereditary prion, and a newer method at the top of the Google search. They also mention a urine detection method and advise against reading detailed research papers, instead providing a quick summary of each.
hivesaeed4
Suppose you were asked to make a sort of test which would be able to detect any prions in a given (human) cell. You do not know the structure of a prion, its function etc. You don't even know if a prion exists in the cell you've been given. How would you do it?

Biology news on Phys.org
I would start browsing literature.

I tried. Extensively. But considering that I'm a sophomore who's just started reading research papers (given as supplementary readings in the lectures) I have'nt found anything which I can understand. So could you or somebody else at least direct to me a good resource or starting point.

Ok mr. saeed let's do this one step at a time

you google "prion detection "and find me 3 ways to detect it, look for

1. the old histological way tell me what you found
2. the genetic assay for those with hereditary prion, the CJD one
3. and one new one that's on top of the google search.
4. there also seem to be a urine detection one

And i think you should be done. Oh by the way don't read about detailed research papers, just give a quick summary of each. I'll fill in any of the weak areas you have.

I understand the importance of accurately detecting prions in cells as they have been linked to various neurodegenerative diseases. To develop a test for prion detection, I would first need to gather as much information as possible about prions and their characteristics. This includes understanding their structure, function, and potential presence in human cells.

One approach to detecting prions in cells would be to use a technique called Western blotting. This method involves separating proteins from a sample of cells, transferring them onto a membrane, and then using specific antibodies to detect the presence of prions. These antibodies are designed to bind specifically to prions, allowing for their detection and quantification.

Another approach could be to use a technique called immunohistochemistry, which involves staining cells with specific antibodies and then visualizing the results under a microscope. This method would allow for the detection and localization of prions within the cells.

In addition to these techniques, I would also consider using a combination of biochemical and genetic tests to identify and confirm the presence of prions in the cells. This could involve isolating and purifying the suspected prion proteins from the cells and subjecting them to various tests such as mass spectrometry and genetic sequencing.

Furthermore, I would also gather information about the cell type and any potential factors that could affect the presence or detection of prions. This could include the age of the cell, any genetic mutations, and any environmental factors that could influence the production or accumulation of prions.

Overall, developing a test for prion detection in cells would require a multidisciplinary approach, utilizing a combination of techniques and information from various fields of study. It would also be crucial to continuously validate and refine the test to ensure its accuracy and effectiveness.

What are prions and why are they important to detect in cells?

Prions are misfolded proteins that can cause diseases, such as mad cow disease, in humans and animals. They are important to detect in cells because they can spread and cause damage to the nervous system.

How are prions detected in cells?

Prions can be detected through various laboratory tests, including immunohistochemistry, western blotting, and enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA).

Why is it important to accurately detect prions in cells?

Accurate detection of prions is crucial for early diagnosis and treatment of prion diseases. It also helps prevent the spread of these diseases to other individuals or animals.

What are the challenges in detecting prions in cells?

Detecting prions in cells can be challenging due to their small size and similarity to normal proteins. This makes it difficult to distinguish between normal and misfolded proteins.

Are there any advancements in prion detection technology?

Yes, there have been advancements in prion detection technology, such as the development of highly sensitive and specific tests, such as real-time quaking-induced conversion (RT-QuIC) and protein misfolding cyclic amplification (PMCA).