Determinant of Upper Triangular

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dethrone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Determinant
In summary, the determinant of an upper triangular matrix can be any real number, and row operations do not necessarily preserve the determinant.
Dethrone
I am trying to find the determinant of the following via upper triangular form:

$$\left[\begin{array}{c}-1 & -1 & 1 & 0 \\ 2 & 1 & 1 & 3 \\ 0 & 1 & 1 & 2 \\ 1 & 3 & -1 & 2 \end{array}\right]$$Using row reduction to bring it to upper triangular matrix:

$$\left[\begin{array}{c}-1 & -1 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 & 3 & 3 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 2 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1/2 \end{array}\right]$$Proposition from my professor's notes (modified a bit as we know the determinant exists and is unique):

Let $\text{det}_n: \Bbb{R}^{nn}\longmapsto\Bbb{R}$ be the determinant function and $U=[u_{ij}]\in\Bbb{R}^{nn}$ by an upper-triangular matrix. Then
$$\text{det}_n(U)=\prod_{k=1}^nu_{kk}$$.

Applying this formula I get $(-1)(-1)(1)(1/2)=1/2$ as my determinant, whereas the actual determinant is $2$. Why is this wrong? Furthermore, I can see that I can multiply the last row by any constant, therefore, the determinant can really be any real number. What is wrong with my application of the proposition?

Physics news on Phys.org
On second though, could this be the reason:

Of the three elementary row operations, only the third type where you multiply one row by a scalar and add it to another row doesn't change the determinant value. In other words, I should either keep track of the row operations I use, or avoid the other two row operations altogether?

That's right, the determinant is not necessarily preserved by row operations. You should keep track of the determinant as you work through the row reduction, then quickly calculate the determinant of the upper-triangular matrix, and then work backwards to find the determinant of the original matrix. It's still fast and easy, especially since row reductions can only either negate or multiply the determinant by a constant factor, so the correction factor is always of the form $(-1)^n s$ where $n$ is the number of times you swap rows and $s$ is the product of all scalar row multiplications you perform (that's multiplying a row by a scalar, not adding a multiple of a row to another, since that does not affect the determinant).

Hi Bacterius,

Thanks very much for clearing this up for me, as always! :D

1. What is the determinant of an upper triangular matrix?

The determinant of an upper triangular matrix is the product of its diagonal elements. In other words, it is equal to the product of all the numbers on the main diagonal, from the top left to the bottom right.

2. How do you calculate the determinant of an upper triangular matrix?

To calculate the determinant of an upper triangular matrix, you simply multiply all the numbers on the main diagonal. This is because all the other elements in the matrix are 0, and multiplying by 0 does not change the product.

3. What is the significance of the determinant of an upper triangular matrix?

The determinant of an upper triangular matrix is used in linear algebra to determine if a matrix has an inverse. If the determinant is non-zero, the matrix has an inverse; if it is zero, the matrix does not have an inverse.

4. Can the determinant of an upper triangular matrix be negative?

Yes, the determinant of an upper triangular matrix can be negative. The sign of the determinant depends on the number of row swaps performed during the process of finding the determinant. If an odd number of row swaps are performed, the determinant will be negative.

5. What is the relation between the determinant of an upper triangular matrix and its eigenvalues?

The determinant of an upper triangular matrix is equal to the product of its eigenvalues. This is a useful property when solving for eigenvalues of upper triangular matrices, as it reduces the calculations needed to find them.