Proof of Determinant: Need Help?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of determinants as multilinear functions of columns and the process of expanding by minors to find the determinant. The conversation also touches on a related problem involving cross-products and the possibility of finding a 2x2 version of the question. The main focus is on understanding and applying the expansion by minors method.
eyehategod
I need help with proof. Can anyone lead me in the right direction?
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s208/nailbomb2/LastScan.jpg
LastScan.jpg

Attachments

• LastScan.jpg
    LastScan.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The determinant is a multilinear function of the columns. That means every term in the polynomial expansion of the determinant contains exactly one entry from the first column. How's that for a direction? Think about expanding by minors.

Im still lost. I am not understanding.

A related problem (actually a special case)... concerning cross-products involving vectors A, B, and M.(A x M) + (B x M) = (A+B) x M

Can you do the 2x2 version of your question? The 1x1 is easy.

Dick said:
The determinant is a multilinear function of the columns. That means every term in the polynomial expansion of the determinant contains exactly one entry from the first column. How's that for a direction? Think about expanding by minors.

eyehategod said:
Im still lost. I am not understanding.
Do you know how to "expand by minors"? If so find the determinant on the right by expanding along the first column.

Look up 'expansion by minors'. You can turn the first 3x3 determinant into a sum of three 2x2 determinants a_11*A_11-a_21*A_21+a_31*A_31, where A_ij is a 2x2 determinant that doesn't include any elements of the first column. The second one is b_11*A_11-b_21*A_21+b_31*A_31. The important thing is that the A determinants are the same.

1. What is a determinant?

A determinant is a mathematical concept used to determine certain properties of a matrix, such as its invertibility and the number of solutions to a system of equations.

2. Why is proof of determinant important?

Proof of determinant is important because it is used to understand the fundamental properties of matrices and how they behave in various mathematical operations. It also plays a crucial role in solving systems of linear equations and finding the inverse of a matrix.

3. What are the different methods of proving determinant?

There are many methods of proving determinant, including cofactor expansion, row and column operations, and using properties of determinants such as linearity and multiplicativity. Each method has its own advantages and may be more suitable for certain types of matrices.

4. How do I know if my proof of determinant is correct?

To ensure the accuracy of your proof, it is important to check your work carefully and make sure all steps are clearly explained and logically sound. You can also compare your proof to established proofs or ask for feedback from other mathematicians or experts in the field.

5. Are there any applications of determinant besides matrix operations?

Yes, determinants have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to solve systems of differential equations, calculate volumes and areas in geometry, and even in computer graphics to transform and manipulate images.