Can You Solve These Advanced Determinant Problems Involving Matrices?

In summary: The remaining determinant is the determinant of a matrix with entries in the field $\mathbb{F}_2$, which is 0 if $n$ is even and 1 if $n$ is odd (since the determinant of the matrix $1$ is 1 and the determinant of the matrix $\begin{pmatrix} 1&1\\ 1&0\end{pmatrix}$ is 0).
Yankel
Let A be an nXn real matrix

(a) show that if the transpose of A equals -A, and n is odd, then the determinant of A is 0.

(b) show that if (A*A)+I=0, then n must be even.

(c) if all the values of A are either 1 or -1, show that the determinant of A is divisible by (2^n-1).

these are hard questions, I have no clue of to even start them...a solution to any of the questions will be appreciated !

thanks
(Yes)

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first, apply the determinant to both sides, using the facts that $\det (kA) = k^n \det A$ and $\det A^t = \det A$.

As for the second, what do you mean with $A^{\ast} A$? Would it be $A^t A$?

Fantini said:
For the first, apply the determinant to both sides, using the facts that $\det (kA) = k^n \det A$ and $\det A^t = \det A$.

As for the second, what do you mean with $A^{\ast} A$? Would it be $A^t A$?

nein, I meant A squared, I just don't know how to do it with Latex...sorry :confused:

Oh, you meant $A \ast A$ as $A \cdot A = A^2$. Well, try writing $A^2 = - I$ and taking the determinant. It follows that $\det (A^2) = (\det A)^2 = \det(-I) = (-1)^n \det I = (-1)^n$. This equation will be true if and only if $n$ is even, because the determinant takes on real values and there are no real numbers whose square is negative.

Don't know about the third, sorry.:confused:

Yankel said:
Let A be an nXn real matrix

(a) show that if the transpose of A equals -A, and n is odd, then the determinant of A is 0.

(b) show that if (A*A)+I=0, then n must be even.

(c) if all the values of A are either 1 or -1, show that the determinant of A is divisible by \( 2^{n-1} \).

these are hard questions, I have no clue of to even start them...a solution to any of the questions will be appreciated !

thanks
(Yes)
Here is a sketch of a proof of (c) by induction on n. The idea of filling in all the details (in LaTex) makes me feel faint, so I will leave that to you.

The case n=1 is easy.

Now suppose (c) holds for some value of n, and let A be an n+1 by n+1 matrix all of whose elements are either -1 or 1. Add the second row of A to the first row. This does not change the determinant. But in the new matrix, every element of the first row is the sum of two numbers, each of which is either -1 or 1, hence is either -2, 0, or 2. Therefore each element of the new first row is divisible by 2. Now expand the determinant by minors about the first row, and apply the inductive hypothesis.

This is a modification of awkward's idea in the previous comment. Given an $n\times n$ matrix in which each entry is $\pm1$, subtract the top row from each of the other rows. You can then take a factor 2 out of each of those rows, giving a factor of $2^{n-1}$ in the determinant.

What are determinants?

Determinants are mathematical values associated with square matrices that contain information about the linear transformation represented by the matrix. They are used to solve equations, determine invertibility, and calculate areas and volumes in geometry.

How do you find the determinant of a matrix?

The determinant of a 2x2 matrix can be found by multiplying the elements in the main diagonal and subtracting the product of the elements in the other diagonal. For larger matrices, there are various methods such as cofactor expansion, row reduction, and using properties of determinants to simplify the calculation.

What is the significance of the determinant?

The determinant of a matrix is a key factor in understanding the properties of the matrix. It can determine if a matrix is invertible, which is important in solving systems of equations. It also provides information about the scaling and orientation of geometric objects represented by the matrix.

What is the relationship between determinants and eigenvalues?

The determinant of a matrix is equal to the product of its eigenvalues. This relationship is used in finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors, which are important in understanding the behavior of linear transformations and systems of differential equations.

How are determinants used in real-world applications?

Determinants have various real-world applications, such as in physics, economics, and computer graphics. They can be used to solve systems of linear equations, calculate areas and volumes, analyze stability in dynamic systems, and perform geometric transformations in computer graphics.