Why Doesn't Lactose React with Red Tetrazolium in a NaOH Oxidation Process?

However, this reaction may not be very strong, which is why only a pink tint was observed when heating the solution. In summary, the use of NaOH and Red tetrazolium in the procedure helped determine that the unknown substance was lactose, which is composed of aldoses that react with the reagents to form a pink tint.
ericvon11
Hi all,

I was given an unknown in a recent lab and determined it was lactose. However, I'm not quite sure why it reacted the way it did with the reagents used.

I used Red tetrazolium and NaOH which oxidizes aldoses and ketoses. Lactose is made of glucose and galactose, both of which are aldoses. I was wondering first off what NaOH would do in this procedure and if both are aldoses, why doesn't it react with Red tetrazolium? I only got a pink tint when I heated it. But since both are aldoses they should reduce the red tetrazolium right?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Thanks in advance for your help!NaOH is an oxidizing agent, meaning that it will react with aldehydes and ketones to form carboxylic acids. In the case of lactose, which is composed of two aldoses, the NaOH will oxidize the aldoses to form the corresponding carboxylic acids, which will then react with Red tetrazolium, resulting in the pink tint.

What is lactose?

Lactose is a type of sugar found in milk and other dairy products.

Why is it important to determine the amount of lactose in a sample?

Determining the amount of lactose in a sample is important for several reasons. It can help diagnose lactose intolerance, ensure proper labeling of food products for people with allergies, and determine the quality and composition of dairy products.

How is lactose determined in a sample?

Lactose is typically determined in a sample through a process called enzymatic analysis. This involves using enzymes to break down the lactose into simpler sugars, which can then be measured and quantified.

What are the potential sources of error in determining lactose?

The most common source of error in determining lactose is contamination from other sources of sugar, such as sucrose or glucose. Other sources of error can include incorrect sample preparation, faulty equipment, or human error.

Are there any alternative methods for determining lactose?

Yes, there are alternative methods for determining lactose, such as using chromatography or infrared spectroscopy. However, enzymatic analysis is the most commonly used method due to its accuracy and reliability.