Determine if the SERIES converges or DIVERGES(II)

• MHB
  • Thread starter shamieh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
By the way, if you want to show you know how to do algebra, I would advise you to use proper brackets, as I have above, and not rely on the computer to do the job for you.
shamieh
\(\displaystyle \sum^{\infty}_{n = 0} \frac{3^{2n + 1}}{n5^{n-1}}\) using Ratio test I obtained: \(\displaystyle \frac{3^{2n + 2}}{(n + 1)5^n} * \frac{n5^{n - 1}}{3^{2n + 1}}\) = 25/2 so the series diverges since L > 1?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
shamieh said:
\(\displaystyle \sum^{\infty}_{n = 0} \frac{3^{2n + 1}}{n5^{n-1}}\) using Ratio test I obtained: \(\displaystyle \frac{3^{2n + 2}}{(n + 1)5^n} * \frac{n5^{n - 1}}{3^{2n + 1}}\) = 25/2 so the series diverges since L > 1?

First of all $\displaystyle \begin{align*} a_n = \frac{3^{2n + 1}}{n \cdot 5^{n - 1}} \end{align*}$, so $\displaystyle \begin{align*} a_{n + 1} = \frac{3^{2 \left( n + 1 \right) + 1 }}{ \left( n + 1 \right) \cdot 5^{n + 1 - 1 } } = \frac{3^{2n + 3}}{\left( n + 1 \right) \cdot 5^n} \end{align*}$

so the ratio is actually

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{a_{n + 1}}{a_n} = \frac{3^{2n + 3}}{ \left( n + 1 \right) \cdot 5^n } \cdot \frac{n \cdot 5^{n - 1}}{3^{2n + 1}} \end{align*}$

Now see what happens to this ratio when $\displaystyle \begin{align*} n \to \infty \end{align*}$.

so as n--> \(\displaystyle \infty\) I got 15...? Would that be correct? If not, then i have NO idea how to do algebra and I will need you to show me step by step.

shamieh said:
so as n--> \(\displaystyle \infty\) I got 15...? Would that be correct? If not, then i have NO idea how to do algebra and I will need you to show me step by step.

15 isn't even close (I get 9/5). Please show me what you did.

\(\displaystyle
\frac{3^{2n + 2}}{2^{2n + 1}} = \frac{(3^2)(3^n)(3^2)}{(3^2)(3^n)(3^1)} = 9/3\)

then

for the other part

\(\displaystyle \frac{n * (5^n) (5^1)}{n + 1 (5^n)} = 5/1\)

shamieh said:
\(\displaystyle
\frac{3^{2n + 2}}{2^{2n + 1}} = \frac{(3^2)(3^n)(3^2)}{(3^2)(3^n)(3^1)} = 9/3\)

then

for the other part

\(\displaystyle \frac{n * (5^n) (5^1)}{n + 1 (5^n)} = 5/1\)

Yes, the first part is 9/3 = 3.

As for the second part, you can't just treat the n's like they don't exist, they have a part to play. But I'll assume you realized that their limit is 1 and so are negligible.

Also, where have the extra 5's come from? $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{5^{n - 1}}{5^n} = 5^{n - 1 - n} = 5^{-1} = \frac{1}{5} \end{align*}$...

shamieh said:

You will find this easier to do if you rearrange the \(\displaystyle n\) th term to be:

\(\displaystyle a_n= \frac{3^{2n + 1}}{n5^{n-1}}=15\left(\frac{9}{5}\right)^n\frac{1}{n}\)

when you will see that you have no term when \(\displaystyle n=0\), and that \(\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty}a_n \ne 0\)

Related to Determine if the SERIES converges or DIVERGES(II)

What is the definition of convergence for a series?

The definition of convergence for a series is when the sum of the terms in the series approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. This means that as we add more terms to the series, the sum will get closer and closer to a specific number.

What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent series?

A convergent series is one where the sum of the terms approaches a finite value, while a divergent series is one where the sum of the terms either approaches infinity or does not approach a specific value. In other words, a convergent series has a finite sum, while a divergent series does not.

What are the common tests used to determine if a series converges or diverges?

There are several common tests used to determine if a series converges or diverges, including the comparison test, the ratio test, the root test, and the integral test. These tests involve comparing the given series to a known series or using a mathematical formula to determine its convergence or divergence.

How do you know if a series diverges to infinity?

If the sum of the terms in a series continues to increase without bound as more terms are added, then the series is said to diverge to infinity. This means that the series does not approach a finite value and the sum will continue to increase without ever reaching a specific value.

Can a series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series cannot be both convergent and divergent. A series can only have one of these two possible outcomes. If a series is convergent, it cannot be divergent, and vice versa. However, some series may be inconclusive and require further analysis to determine their convergence or divergence.