Determine the general term for a sequence

In summary, the general term for the sequence is $f(k) = \frac{3^k}{2^{k-3}}$ for $k \ge 0$. This was found by taking the differences between any two terms and using a system of equations to determine the coefficients in a polynomial of degree 3. Another method was also used, involving the generating function and expanding it in a power series. However, it was noted that this method only works for $0 \le k \le 3$.
Amer
What is the general term for the sequence

First of all I know that i can make a polynomial or whatever function pass through these points but I make a relation I just want to build the general term of it
I took the difference between any two terms
I choose 40
8 , 12 , 18 , 27 , 40 , 58.
4 , 6 , 9 ,13 , 18
2 , 3 ,4 , 5
1 , 1 , 1
so first row is constant second is n+1
but third how I can make it .

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Determine the general term for a sequnce

Since it is 3 rows down, you are looking for a polynomial of degree n = 3, i.e $an^3 + bn^2 + cn + d$

We know that
$$
\begin{alignat*}{3}
a + b + c + d & = & 8\\
8a + 4b + 2c + d & = & 12\\
27a + 9b + 3c + d & = & 18\\
64a + 16b + 4c + d & = & 27
\end{alignat*}
$$
You have a system of 4 equations with 4 unknowns. What should you do now?

This also works: $\displaystyle f(k) = \frac{3^k}{2^{k-3}} ~~ (k \ge 0)$.

QuestForInsight said:

Yeah, it seems to work, can you tell us how you obtained it? :)

Sudharaka said:
Yeah, it seems to work, can you tell us how you obtained it? :)
I've noticed that $2(8)-\frac{1}{2}(8) = 12$, $2(12)-\frac{1}{2}(12) = 18$, $2(18)-\frac{1}{2}(18) = 27.$

We wish to find the sequence that satisfies $a_{k+1} = \frac{3}{2}a_{k} ~~ (k \ge 0; ~ a_{0} = 8)$.

Define the generating function $\displaystyle A(x) = \sum_{k \ge 0}a_{k}x^k$ (our aim is to find $a_{k}$).

Multiplying the left side of our sequence by $x^k$ and summing it over all $k$ we have:

$\displaystyle \sum_{k \ge 0} a_{k+1}x^k = \sum_{k \ge 1}a_{k}x^{k-1} = \sum_{k \ge 0}a_{k}x^{k-1}-\frac{a_{0}}{x} = \frac{1}{x}\sum_{k\ge 0}a_{k}x^k-\frac{8}{x} = \frac{A(x)}{x}-\frac{8}{x}.$

Multiplying the right side of our sequence by $x^k$ and summing it over all $k$ we have:

$\displaystyle \frac{3}{2}\sum_{k \ge 0} a_{k}x^k = \frac{3}{2}A(x).$ Thus $\displaystyle \frac{A(x)}{x}-\frac{8}{x} = \frac{3}{2}A(x) \implies A(x) = \frac{16}{2-3x}$.

Expanding this $A(x)$ in power series we find that it's $\displaystyle A(x) = \sum_{k \ge 0}\frac{3^k}{2^{k-3}}x^{k}$.

Thus $ \displaystyle a_{k} =\frac{3^k}{2^{k-3}} ~~~ (k \ge 0).$

QuestForInsight said:

$\displaystyle f(4)=40.5,\,f(5)=60.75$

It works only for $\displaystyle 0\le k\le3$

MarkFL said:
$\displaystyle f(4)=40.5,\,f(5)=60.75$

It works only for $\displaystyle 0\le k\le3$
I think you misread the thread.

QuestForInsight said:
I think you misread the thread.

The 4th term is stated as 40 and all difference down to the 3rd row must be 1. At 4, that $f$ fails.

dwsmith said:
The 4th term is stated as 40 and all difference down to the 3rd row must be 1. At 4, that $f$ fails.
Okay sorry. Then it's me who misread the original thread. I thought all the given terms of the concerned sequence were just 8, 12, 18, and 27 (and to be fair the question does appear that way in the original post). My apologies. I should have paid more attention.

Last edited:

QuestForInsight said:
Okay sorry. Then it's me who misread the original thread. I thought all the given terms of the concerned sequence were just 8, 12, 18, and 27 (and to be fair the question does appear that way in the original post). My apologies. I should have paid more attention.

I can easily see it being taken either way. I still applaud your ingenuity!(Yes)

Thank you all

Related to Determine the general term for a sequence

1. What is a sequence?

A sequence is a list of numbers that follows a specific pattern or rule. Each number in the sequence is called a term, and the position of the term in the sequence is called its index or position number.

2. How do you determine the general term for a sequence?

To determine the general term for a sequence, you need to observe the pattern or rule that the sequence follows. This can be done by looking at the differences between consecutive terms, the ratio between consecutive terms, or any other consistent relationship between the terms. Once you have identified the pattern, you can use it to write a formula or expression that can generate any term in the sequence.

3. What is the importance of finding the general term for a sequence?

Finding the general term for a sequence allows us to predict future terms in the sequence without having to list them out explicitly. This can be useful in various applications, such as predicting stock market trends, calculating future population growth, or understanding the behavior of complex mathematical functions.

4. Can there be more than one general term for a sequence?

Yes, there can be multiple ways to represent the same sequence. For example, a sequence can be represented by a polynomial expression, a recursive formula, or a combination of both. However, all these representations should generate the same terms in the sequence.

5. How can I check if my general term is correct?

You can check if your general term is correct by plugging in different values for the index or position number and comparing the resulting terms with the ones in the original sequence. If your general term generates the same terms as the original sequence, then it is most likely correct.