1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the state |n> given results and probabilities [QM]

1. Oct 11, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a spin-[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] system all particles are in the state [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex]. 3 experiments performed and are separate, the results are as follows:

Particle in state [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex], measured [itex]S_z[/itex] = [itex]\frac{\hbar}{2}[/itex], with P=1/4
    Particle in state [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex], measured [itex]S_x[/itex] = [itex]\frac{\hbar}{2}[/itex], with P=7/8
    Particle in state [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex], measured [itex]S_y[/itex] = [itex]\frac{\hbar}{2}[/itex], with P=[itex]\frac{4+\sqrt{3}}{8}[/itex]

Determine [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex] in the [itex]S_z[/itex] basis.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]S_z = \frac{\hbar}{2}\left[\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1\end{array}\right][/itex], [itex]S_x = \frac{\hbar}{2}\left[\begin{array}{cc} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0\end{array}\right][/itex], [itex]S_y = \frac{\hbar}{2}\left[\begin{array}{cc} 0 & -i \\ i & 0\end{array}\right][/itex]
    [itex]S = S_x \hat{i} + S_y \hat{j} + S_z \hat{k}[/itex]

where [itex]S_z = \frac{\hbar}{2}\sigma_z[/itex]

[itex]\sigma = \sigma_x \hat{i} + \sigma_y \hat{j} + \sigma_z \hat{k}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, if we are given [itex]P_z[/itex] = 1/4, I would think this implies that
    [tex]|\psi\rangle = \frac{1}{2}|+z\rangle + \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}|-z\rangle\qquad \blacksquare[/tex]
    but I don't think this is correct or the whole thing, as I think that [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex] must satisfy all basis. Also I am not sure that [itex]S_x, S_y[/itex] results are in their [itex]|+x\rangle, |+y\rangle[/itex] respectively, such that the [itex]S_x[/itex] measurement is
    [tex]|\psi\rangle = \sqrt{\frac{7}{8}}|+x\rangle + \sqrt{\frac{1}{8}}|-x\rangle[/tex]
    or are written as [itex]|\pm x\rangle, |\pm y\rangle[/itex] in the [itex]S_z[/itex] basis

Do I need determine the [itex]|\pm x\rangle, |\pm y\rangle[/itex] states in the [itex]S_z[/itex] basis of the one mentioned earlier?

Should I try to find the eigenstate such that in 3-D Euclidean space
    [tex]\frac{\hbar}{2}\left[\sigma_x \cos\phi + \sigma_y \sin\phi\right]\left[\begin{array}{c} \langle +z|\mu\rangle \\ \langle -z|\mu\rangle\end{array}\right] = \mu\frac{\hbar}{2}\left[\begin{array}{c} \langle +z|\mu\rangle \\ \langle -z|\mu\rangle\end{array}\right][/tex]

I don't want the answer only some direction as to how to proceed, as I am lost.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF!:D
    You need to allow for possible phase differences in the different components. You can adjust the overall phase of the wavefunction so that the coefficient of ##|+z\rangle## is real and equal to 1/2, but you can't assume that the phase of the ##|-z\rangle## coefficient is simultaneously real.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  4. Oct 13, 2014 #3
    Thanks, feels good to join!

That clue, was extremely helpful, such that
    [tex] |\psi \rangle = \exp(i \phi_+)\left(\frac{1}{2}|+z \rangle + \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\exp(i\phi) |+z \rangle \right)[/tex]
    where [itex]\phi = \phi_- - \phi_+[/itex]. If ignoring the overall phase and rewriting the probabilities of
    [tex] |\langle +x | \psi \rangle |^2 \to S_z basis[/tex]
    [tex] |\langle +y | \psi \rangle |^2 \to S_z basis[/tex]
    you can solve [itex]\phi = \frac{\pi}{6}[/itex].

I didn't write the complete solution online because going through the motions really helped understanding the problem!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  5. Oct 13, 2014 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks good!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted