Determine the state |n> given results and probabilities [QM]

In summary, the given results show that in a spin-\frac{1}{2} system, particles in state |\psi\rangle were measured to have spin projections of \frac{\hbar}{2} along the x, y, and z axes with probabilities of \frac{7}{8}, \frac{4+\sqrt{3}}{8}, and \frac{1}{4} respectively. To determine |\psi\rangle in the S_z basis, we need to consider possible phase differences in the different components of the wavefunction. By adjusting the overall phase and solving for the phase difference, we find that \phi = \frac{\pi}{6}.
roguetechx86

Homework Statement

In a spin-[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] system all particles are in the state [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex]. 3 experiments performed and are separate, the results are as follows:

Particle in state [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex], measured [itex]S_z[/itex] = [itex]\frac{\hbar}{2}[/itex], with P=1/4
Particle in state [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex], measured [itex]S_x[/itex] = [itex]\frac{\hbar}{2}[/itex], with P=7/8
Particle in state [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex], measured [itex]S_y[/itex] = [itex]\frac{\hbar}{2}[/itex], with P=[itex]\frac{4+\sqrt{3}}{8}[/itex]

Determine [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex] in the [itex]S_z[/itex] basis.

Homework Equations

[itex]S_z = \frac{\hbar}{2}\left[\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1\end{array}\right][/itex], [itex]S_x = \frac{\hbar}{2}\left[\begin{array}{cc} 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0\end{array}\right][/itex], [itex]S_y = \frac{\hbar}{2}\left[\begin{array}{cc} 0 & -i \\ i & 0\end{array}\right][/itex]
[itex]S = S_x \hat{i} + S_y \hat{j} + S_z \hat{k}[/itex]

where [itex]S_z = \frac{\hbar}{2}\sigma_z[/itex]

[itex]\sigma = \sigma_x \hat{i} + \sigma_y \hat{j} + \sigma_z \hat{k}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So, if we are given [itex]P_z[/itex] = 1/4, I would think this implies that
[tex]|\psi\rangle = \frac{1}{2}|+z\rangle + \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}|-z\rangle\qquad \blacksquare[/tex]
but I don't think this is correct or the whole thing, as I think that [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex] must satisfy all basis. Also I am not sure that [itex]S_x, S_y[/itex] results are in their [itex]|+x\rangle, |+y\rangle[/itex] respectively, such that the [itex]S_x[/itex] measurement is
[tex]|\psi\rangle = \sqrt{\frac{7}{8}}|+x\rangle + \sqrt{\frac{1}{8}}|-x\rangle[/tex]
or are written as [itex]|\pm x\rangle, |\pm y\rangle[/itex] in the [itex]S_z[/itex] basis

Do I need determine the [itex]|\pm x\rangle, |\pm y\rangle[/itex] states in the [itex]S_z[/itex] basis of the one mentioned earlier?

Should I try to find the eigenstate such that in 3-D Euclidean space
[tex]\frac{\hbar}{2}\left[\sigma_x \cos\phi + \sigma_y \sin\phi\right]\left[\begin{array}{c} \langle +z|\mu\rangle \\ \langle -z|\mu\rangle\end{array}\right] = \mu\frac{\hbar}{2}\left[\begin{array}{c} \langle +z|\mu\rangle \\ \langle -z|\mu\rangle\end{array}\right][/tex]

I don't want the answer only some direction as to how to proceed, as I am lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!:D
roguetechx86 said:
So, if we are given [itex]P_z[/itex] = 1/4, I would think this implies that
[tex]|\psi\rangle = \frac{1}{2}|+z\rangle + \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}|-z\rangle\qquad \blacksquare[/tex].
You need to allow for possible phase differences in the different components. You can adjust the overall phase of the wavefunction so that the coefficient of ##|+z\rangle## is real and equal to 1/2, but you can't assume that the phase of the ##|-z\rangle## coefficient is simultaneously real.

Last edited:
Thanks, feels good to join!

That clue, was extremely helpful, such that
[tex] |\psi \rangle = \exp(i \phi_+)\left(\frac{1}{2}|+z \rangle + \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\exp(i\phi) |+z \rangle \right)[/tex]
where [itex]\phi = \phi_- - \phi_+[/itex]. If ignoring the overall phase and rewriting the probabilities of
[tex] |\langle +x | \psi \rangle |^2 \to S_z basis[/tex]
[tex] |\langle +y | \psi \rangle |^2 \to S_z basis[/tex]
you can solve [itex]\phi = \frac{\pi}{6}[/itex].

I didn't write the complete solution online because going through the motions really helped understanding the problem!

Last edited:
Looks good!

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of spin states in quantum mechanics. In a spin-\frac{1}{2} system, the spin of a particle can have two possible states, denoted as |+\rangle and |-\rangle. These states correspond to the spin being aligned with the positive or negative direction of a chosen axis, respectively.

In this problem, we are given the probabilities of measuring the spin of a particle in the state |\psi\rangle along three different axes, S_z, S_x, and S_y. To determine the state |\psi\rangle in the S_z basis, we need to find the coefficients of |+\rangle and |-\rangle in the state |\psi\rangle.

First, let's consider the result for S_z. The probability of measuring S_z = \frac{\hbar}{2} is P_z = 1/4. This means that the state |\psi\rangle must have a coefficient of 1/2 for |+\rangle and a coefficient of \sqrt{3}/2 for |-\rangle. However, this does not uniquely determine |\psi\rangle, as there are infinitely many states that satisfy this condition. So we cannot say that |\psi\rangle = \frac{1}{2}|+\rangle + \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}|-\rangle.

Next, let's consider the results for S_x and S_y. The probabilities for these measurements are P_x = 7/8 and P_y = \frac{4+\sqrt{3}}{8}, respectively. These probabilities correspond to the coefficients of |+\rangle and |-\rangle in the states |\psi\rangle and i|\psi\rangle, respectively. So we can write the following equations:

P_x = \frac{7}{8} = |\langle +|\psi\rangle|^2 \implies |\psi\rangle = \sqrt{\frac{7}{8}}|+\rangle + \sqrt{\frac{1}{8}}|-\rangle
P_y = \frac{4+\sqrt{3}}{8} = |\langle +|i\psi\rangle|^2 \implies i|\psi\rangle = \sqrt{\frac{4+\sqrt{3}}{8}}|+\rangle + \sqrt{\frac{4-\sqrt{3}}{8}}|-\rangle

Now, we can use these equations to find the coefficients of

Related to Determine the state |n> given results and probabilities [QM]

1. How do you determine the state |n> using quantum mechanics (QM)?

In quantum mechanics, the state of a system is represented by a vector in a complex vector space. To determine the state |n>, you need to first measure the system and obtain the results and probabilities. Then, using the mathematical principles of quantum mechanics, you can use the results and probabilities to determine the state of the system.

2. What are the results and probabilities in quantum mechanics?

The results in quantum mechanics refer to the possible outcomes of a measurement on a system. These outcomes can be represented by a set of numbers or values. The probabilities refer to the likelihood of obtaining each result. In quantum mechanics, probabilities are represented by complex numbers.

3. How do you calculate the probabilities in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the probabilities are calculated using the wave function of the system. The wave function is a mathematical function that describes the state of the system and can be used to calculate the probability of obtaining a specific result. This calculation involves using the Schrödinger equation and applying the principles of superposition and normalization.

4. Can the state |n> be determined with 100% certainty using quantum mechanics?

No, the state |n> cannot be determined with 100% certainty using quantum mechanics. This is due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, where the exact outcome of a measurement cannot be predicted. However, the probabilities can be calculated and used to determine the most likely state of the system.

5. What are the limitations of using quantum mechanics to determine the state |n>?

One of the limitations of using quantum mechanics to determine the state |n> is that it requires precise measurements and calculations, which can be difficult and time-consuming. Additionally, quantum mechanics is only applicable to microscopic systems, and its principles do not always hold true for macroscopic systems. Furthermore, the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics means that there is always a degree of uncertainty in the results obtained.