Determining a Safe Distance from a GRB

• Thread starter tibrorla
  • Start date
In summary, the question is how far one would have to be from a Gamma Ray Burst (GRB) for its average power to be equivalent to the sun's radiation at Earth, which has a solar constant of 1300 Watt/m2. The GRB's average power can be calculated by dividing its total energy by the given time. However, the distance from the GRB cannot be directly related to its average power and the solar constant. Based on some calculations, it is estimated that the power density at a distance R from the GRB would equal the sun's brightness at Earth if it were 36 megalightyears away, but only for a brief time.
tibrorla
Determining a "Safe Distance" from a GRB

We are given the total energy of a Gamma Ray Burst, E, over a given time t.

Therefore we can conclude that the average power is:

P = E/t

The question then asks how far one would have to be from this gamma ray burst in order for the average power from it to be equivalent to the average power from the sun's radiation at the earth.

We know that the solar constant (i.e. power released by the sun per unit area) is about 1300 Watt/m2.

This is where my problem arises, since I don't know how to relate the distance from the GRB with the average power of it and the solar constant.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Space news on Phys.org

Just off the top of my head, I think it's about 1030 kg of matter converted into energy in about 100 sec, in two 1o cones. These cones correspond to about 1/1500 steradian, while the sphere is 4pi, so the "gain" is about 18,000x.

Thus power density at distance R is (1030 x c2 x 18000)/(4pi R2 x 100) in W/m2.

This would equal the sun brightness at the Earth about 36 megalightyears away, but only for a brief time.

Last edited:

1. What is a GRB?

A GRB, or gamma-ray burst, is a powerful burst of electromagnetic radiation that occurs in distant galaxies. It is one of the most energetic events in the known universe.

2. Why is it important to determine a safe distance from a GRB?

GRBs release a huge amount of energy, including dangerous gamma rays. Being too close to a GRB can have serious consequences for life on Earth.

3. How is a safe distance from a GRB determined?

A safe distance from a GRB is determined by calculating the distance at which the radiation levels would be low enough to not pose a threat to life on Earth.

4. What factors influence the determination of a safe distance from a GRB?

The factors that influence the determination of a safe distance from a GRB include the intensity of the burst, the type of radiation emitted, and the composition of the Earth's atmosphere.

5. Can a GRB ever pose a threat to Earth?

It is highly unlikely that a GRB would pose a direct threat to Earth, as they occur in far-off galaxies. However, the effects of a nearby GRB could potentially harm the Earth's ozone layer and impact life on our planet indirectly.