Determining direction of wave propagation from the phase?

Suppose you know the phase of a wave is given by

[tex]
\phi_1 = \vec k \cdot \vec r - \omega t.
[/tex]

How can you determine in which direction this wave is propagating? I guess, more specifically, how does a wave described by this phase differ from a wave described by the phase

[tex]
\phi_2 = \vec k \cdot \vec r + \omega t
[/tex]

I may not have provided enough detail...please tell me if I haven't! Thanks.

(I was always under the impression that it was the wave vector [tex]\vec k[/tex] that carried the information about which way the wave was propagating, but recent discussions in my E&M class have caused me to question this belief.)

Born2bwire

I am ERROR.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You first need to define your time progression. If your standard is good ole e^{-i\omega t}, then the phase dependence is given by:

[tex]\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{r}-\omega t[/tex]

The wave propogates in the \hat{k} direction. If you have

[tex]\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{r}-\omega t[/tex]

as your phase progression then you must have changed your time convention to e^{i\omega t} or you are missing a minus sign here where the actual dependence is e^{-\phi_2} in which case we are progressing in the -\hat{k} direction, but this information is not given in what you have.

Take r vector to be in the direction of k vector.
Now, take kx-wt=A (some constant phase) and differentiate it with respect to t . you get dx/dt=w/k which is the velocity of the point whose A(phase) is constant, and hence velocity of wave . It is called phase velocity. Direction of the propagation is the direction of k vector.

http://www.actionurl.com/jpxp [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses