Determining linear velocity of pendulum

In summary, the conversation discusses the development of a pendulum to test protective equipment and the methods used to determine the necessary length and mass for a desired velocity and moment of inertia. Two methods are mentioned, one using the equations of angular motion and the other using conservation of energy. The conversation also mentions the consideration of using an inverted pendulum design and the possibility of finding the resultant velocity for other cases.
mmcsa
Hello,

I'm trying to develop a pendulum to test protective equipment so I want to work out the length I'll need to generate a desired velocity and the necessary mass I'll need for a specific moment of inertia. I know there are multiple ways to solve for linear velocity with equating Ek and Ep being the most common. I have also tried to do this using angular acceleration, given θ ̈ = - g/l sin⁡θ however they both seem to give me different velocities, so I think I've gone wrong somewhere!

So I have 2 methods which should mathematically be the same but I can't seem to match them

Method 1: Ek = Ep
Ep=Ek
mgh = 1/2 mv^2
v=√2gh
h = L - (Lcos⁡(-θ))
v_bottom= √(2gL(1-cos⁡(θ)))
http://www.sparknotes.com/testprep/books/sat2/physics/chapter8section5.rhtml

Method 2: equations of angular motion

angular acceleration= θ ̈ = - g/l sin⁡θ
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_pendulum#Stationary_pivot_point
ω^2= ω_o^2+2θ ̈ θ
V_tangential=ωr
r=radius of rotation=L for pendulum
V_tangential=L√(ω_o^2+2(-g/L sin⁡θ )θ ) Any top tips would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
mmcsa said:
Method 2: equations of angular motion

angular acceleration= θ ̈ = - g/l sin⁡θ

This gives the angular acceleration when the pendulum angle is θ. As the angle varies (as the pendulum "falls"), so does the angular acceleration.

mmcsa said:
ω^2= ω_o^2+2θ ̈ θ

This assumes the angular acceleration is constant, which is not true for your situation.

Thanks jtbell,
Is there an alternative equation of motion I can use to work out the velocity at each point given the constantly changing angular acceleration of the system? Or is it possible with method 1 to find the resultant velocity for other cases not just at the bottom of the pendulum swing? For instance I am considering using an inverted pendulum style design where the mass is released at say 179° to vertical and it impacts at horizontal 90° (Vy=Vresultant) therefore the calculated h would be ~ pendulum rod length

Google ' Charpy Pendulum ' and ' Charpy impact testing '

mmcsa said:
Or is it possible with method 1 to find the resultant velocity for other cases not just at the bottom of the pendulum swing?
Yes, you can use conservation of energy for such situations: $$E_{k,final} + E_{p,final} = E_{k,initial} + E_{p,initial} \\ \frac 1 2 mv^2_{final} + mgh_{final} = \frac 1 2 mv^2_{initial} + mgh_{initial}$$ where presumably ##v_{initial} = 0##. You find the two h's from the corresponding angles by using some geometry. Of course m cancels out. This assumes that the mass of the pendulum string or rod is negligible compared to the mass of the bob.

Likes mmcsa

1. What is the formula for calculating the linear velocity of a pendulum?

The formula for calculating the linear velocity of a pendulum is v = √(gL(1-cosθ)), where v is the linear velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, L is the length of the pendulum, and θ is the angle of the pendulum with respect to the vertical.

2. How does the length of the pendulum affect its linear velocity?

The length of the pendulum directly affects its linear velocity. According to the formula v = √(gL(1-cosθ)), a longer pendulum will have a higher linear velocity due to the larger value of L. On the other hand, a shorter pendulum will have a lower linear velocity.

3. Can the angle of the pendulum affect its linear velocity?

Yes, the angle of the pendulum does affect its linear velocity. As seen in the formula v = √(gL(1-cosθ)), the angle θ is a factor in determining the linear velocity. A greater angle will result in a higher linear velocity, while a smaller angle will result in a lower linear velocity.

4. Does the mass of the pendulum affect its linear velocity?

The mass of the pendulum does not directly affect its linear velocity. The formula for calculating linear velocity does not include the mass of the pendulum. However, the mass can indirectly affect the velocity if it causes changes in the length or angle of the pendulum.

5. How can the linear velocity of a pendulum be measured?

The linear velocity of a pendulum can be measured by using a stopwatch to time the pendulum for a certain number of swings, and then dividing the distance traveled by the time taken. This method can be repeated multiple times to get a more accurate measurement. Alternatively, sensors and data collection software can also be used to measure the linear velocity of a pendulum.