1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining motor speed from PWM waveform

1. Feb 19, 2012 #1
    As part of a lab report I have to determine the speed of a motor from the PWM waveform.

The motor in question is a lego motor, of type at disassembled at http://www.philohome.com/motors/motor.htm. It has three coils on the rotor and a 4 pole permanent magnet stator.

This is the waveform I have:
    9idcea.jpg
    You can see the PWM pulses, and in between there is the output waveform of the motor acting as a generator when no voltage is being applied. I should be able to calculate the speed of the motor from the time of one of the generator pulses (not the PWM pulses). I measured this as 3.1ms (you can check on the image).

I suppose my question is how many pulses should there be per revolution of the rotor?This is what I thought:
    I know what I am seeing is effectively rectified 3-phase AC from the three coils, so there should be 6 pulses per complete cycle on one coil. There are 2 pole pairs, so there will be 2 cycles per coil per revolution, giving a total of 12 per revolution.
    At 3.1ms per pulse, one revolution should be 37.2ms per revolution. The motor has an internal 14:1 gearing, so the output shaft should be rotating at about 0.5s per rev, or about 120rpm.
    But what I actually observed was 4s per revolution at the output shaft (15rpm), so I'm out by a factor of 8.

Any thoughts?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Reduce the sweep speed until you are able to perceive a complete period of the waveform, i.e., the time taken before each nuance on the waveform repeats. You'll see what I mean if you try it. Each winding and brush gives a unique signature to its contribution to the emf and it is consistent.

4. Feb 20, 2012 #3
    Thanks - I see what you mean. I'll have a go when I'm in the lab tomorrow.

5. Feb 21, 2012 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Synchronizing the CRO to display a steady repetitive signal will be a problem. The PWM pulses are not synchronized to the rotation of the shaft, are they? Can you capture a single sweep and examine that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook