Determining Pipe Pressure of a system that discharges to air

In summary, the maximum water hammer pressure that can be expected on the rotary valve is 2.2 x 109 N/m2. The pipeline will be exposed to this pressure during the water hammer phenomenon.
CivilSigma

Homework Statement

A pipe 30 cm in diameter and 420 m long has a wall thickness of 1 cm. The pipe is commercial steel (ks = 0.045 mm) and carries water from a reservoir to an elevation 100 m below the bottom of the reservoir and discharges into the air. A rotary valve is installed at the downstream end. Minor losses include an entry (kL = 0.5) and rotary valve (kL = 10). Calculate the maximum water hammer pressure that can be expected on the valve if it closes in 0.5 sec. Also determine the total pressure the pipeline will be exposed to during the water hammer phenomenon. Assume: K = 2.2 x 109 N/m2, E = 1.9 x 1011 N/m2

Homework Equations

I am having trouble with determining the water pipe velocity and pipe pressure.
The Bernoulli:

$$ \frac{P_1}{2g} + \frac{v_1^2}{2g}+h_1 = \frac{P_2}{2g} + \frac{v_2^2}{2g}+h_2+ \frac{v^2}{2g}(\lambda \cdot L/D + \sum K_L) $$

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having a really hard with this problem. I think we need more details about the reservoir depth to solve the problem.

Applying the Bernoulli equation from the bottom of the reservoir to the exit of the pipe:

$$ \frac{P_{pipe}}{2g} + \frac{v_{pipe}^2}{2g}+h_1 = \frac{P_{exit}}{2g} + \frac{v_{exit}^2}{2g}+h_2+ \frac{v_{pipe}^2}{2g}(\lambda \cdot L/D + \sum K_L) $$

Exit pressure is atmospheric, and velocity in pipe and at exit are equal.

$$\frac{P_{pipe}}{2g} + \frac{v_{pipe}^2}{2g} = \frac{v_{exit}^2}{2g} - 100 + \frac{v_{pipe}^2}{2g}(\lambda \cdot 450/0.3 + 10.5) $$

So I get this equation with two unknowns velocity ( and lambda depends on v ...) and pipe pressure. Can some one please help - this is so frustrating to solve...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't the velocity in the pipe be the same as the velocity at the exit? Shouldn't the volumetic flow rate be constant? Shouldn't the pressure at the reservoir be atmospheric? Isn't this enough to determine the volumetric flow rate?

Likes CivilSigma
Chestermiller said:
Shouldn't the velocity in the pipe be the same as the velocity at the exit? Shouldn't the volumetic flow rate be constant? Shouldn't the pressure at the reservoir be atmospheric? Isn't this enough to determine the volumetric flow rate?

Yes I agree with all that - however only the change in elevation of the bottom of the reservoir to the exit is given ( the 100 m) . So, when we apply the Bernoulli there we'll get 1 equation with 2 unknowns : velocity and pipe pressure. But i don't think it's enough to calculate both velocity and pressure

sakonpure6 said:
Yes I agree with all that - however only the change in elevation of the bottom of the reservoir to the exit is given ( the 100 m) . So, when we apply the Bernoulli there we'll get 1 equation with 2 unknowns : velocity and pipe pressure. But i don't think it's enough to calculate both velocity and pressure
If you apply the Bernoulli equation between the reservoir and the pipe exit, the atmospheric pressures cancel.

Likes CivilSigma
Chestermiller said:
If you apply the Bernoulli equation between the reservoir and the pipe exit, the atmospheric pressures cancel.
Yes I agree, but we don't know what the elevation to the top of the reservoir is. From my understanding the 100 m elevation is from the bottom of the reservoir to the pipe exit, and at the bottom of the reservoir , pressure is not atmospheric

Ah. I missed that. It seems to me you need to know the depth of the reservoir.

Likes CivilSigma
Chestermiller said:
Ah. I missed that. It seems to me you need to know the depth of the reservoir.

I guess so, I'm going to email my professor to see if there is a type some where in the question. Thank you for the confirmation Chestermiller!

1. How is pipe pressure determined in a system that discharges to air?

Pipe pressure in a system that discharges to air is determined by measuring the pressure at various points along the pipe using pressure gauges or transmitters. These measurements are then used to calculate the overall pressure in the system.

2. What factors affect pipe pressure in a system that discharges to air?

The pressure in a pipe system that discharges to air can be affected by several factors, including the flow rate of the fluid, the diameter and length of the pipe, and the elevation changes in the system. Other factors such as temperature and fluid properties may also play a role.

3. How can one control the pipe pressure in a system that discharges to air?

Pipe pressure in a system that discharges to air can be controlled by regulating the flow rate of the fluid, adjusting the pipe diameter and length, and using valves or other devices to manipulate the pressure. It is important to carefully monitor and maintain these controls to ensure safe and efficient operation of the system.

4. What are the units of measurement for pipe pressure in a system that discharges to air?

The units of measurement for pipe pressure in a system that discharges to air can vary depending on the country or industry. Some common units include pounds per square inch (psi), kilopascals (kPa), and bars (bar). It is important to use the appropriate units for accurate measurement and analysis.

5. Why is it important to determine pipe pressure in a system that discharges to air?

Determining pipe pressure in a system that discharges to air is crucial for ensuring safe and efficient operation of the system. Pressure that is too high can lead to pipe failures and other hazards, while pressure that is too low can result in poor performance and inadequate discharge of the fluid. Accurate pressure measurements also help to identify potential issues and optimize the system for optimal performance.