Determining Subspace of Singular 2x2 Matrices in R^2

• Thread starter 3.141592654
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspace
In summary, the conversation discusses determining if the set of all singular 2 x 2 matrices and the set of all polynomials in P_{4} with at least one real root are subspaces of their respective vector spaces. The conversation also explores the general form of these sets and how to check for closure under addition and scalar multiplication. It is determined that the set of singular 2 x 2 matrices is not a subspace as the sum of two singular matrices may not be singular, and the set of polynomials in P_{4} with at least one real root is not a subspace as the sum of two polynomials with at least one root may not have any roots.

Homework Statement

Determine if the set of all singular 2 x 2 matrices are a subspace of [itex]R^{2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

If a, b, c, and d are the entries of a 2 x 2 matrix, then their determinant, [itex] ad - bc = 0[/itex] if the matrix is singular.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been doing other problems like this without much trouble by taking two general form objects in the set and checking the closure relations for addition and scalar multiplication. However, I'm not sure how I can represent the general form of a singular 2 x 2 matrix so that I can perform addition and scalar multiplication on it.

For example, the matrix [itex]X[/itex] with [itex] x_{11}=a, x_{22}=b, x_{21}=a,[/itex] and [itex] x_{22}=b[/itex] is an example of a singular 2x2 matrix but it isn't a general form, which I'd need to determine if the set of singular 2x2 matrices are a subspace.

If I took two matrices like x and checked the closure relations I believe I'd find they are satisfied, which my books tells me is the wrong answer.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have another similar question and I'm hoping I can't get help with both of them. The 2nd question is:

Homework Statement

Determine whether the set of all polynomials in [itex]P_{4}[/itex] (where [itex]P_{4}[/itex] is the set of polynomials with degree less than 4) having at least one real root is a subspace of [itex]P_{4}[/itex].

Like the problem above, I'm just trying to figure out how to represent the set of all polynomials in [itex]P_{4}[/itex] having at least one real root. I'm not sure where to begin and am looking for help with the start. Thank you.

3.141592654 said:

Homework Statement

Determine if the set of all singular 2 x 2 matrices are a subspace of [itex]R^{2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

If a, b, c, and d are the entries of a 2 x 2 matrix, then their determinant, [itex] ad - bc = 0[/itex] if the matrix is singular.

I have been doing other problems like this without much trouble by taking two general form objects in the set and checking the closure relations for addition and scalar multiplication. However, I'm not sure how I can represent the general form of a singular 2 x 2 matrix so that I can perform addition and scalar multiplication on it.

For example, the matrix [itex]X[/itex] with [itex] x_{11}=a, x_{22}=b, x_{21}=a,[/itex] and [itex] x_{22}=b[/itex] is an example of a singular 2x2 matrix but it isn't a general form, which I'd need to determine if the set of singular 2x2 matrices are a subspace.

If I took two matrices like x and checked the closure relations I believe I'd find they are satisfied, which my books tells me is the wrong answer.

Thanks.

I don't think the sum of two singular matrices is necessarily singular. Can you find an example?

3.141592654 said:
I have another similar question and I'm hoping I can't get help with both of them. The 2nd question is:

Homework Statement

Determine whether the set of all polynomials in [itex]P_{4}[/itex] (where [itex]P_{4}[/itex] is the set of polynomials with degree less than 4) having at least one real root is a subspace of [itex]P_{4}[/itex].

Like the problem above, I'm just trying to figure out how to represent the set of all polynomials in [itex]P_{4}[/itex] having at least one real root. I'm not sure where to begin and am looking for help with the start. Thank you.

Same strategy on this one. Find two polynomials with at least one root whose sum has no roots. Just flail around for a bit, you'll probably find two now that you know you can.

Related to Determining Subspace of Singular 2x2 Matrices in R^2

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that contains all the properties of a vector space. This means that it is closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and it contains the zero vector.

2. How do you determine if a set is a subspace?

In order for a set to be a subspace, it must meet three criteria: 1) it must contain the zero vector, 2) it must be closed under addition, and 3) it must be closed under scalar multiplication.

3. Can a subspace contain more than one vector?

Yes, a subspace can contain an infinite number of vectors. As long as it meets the three criteria mentioned above, it is still considered a subspace.

4. What is the difference between a subspace and a span?

A span is a set of all possible linear combinations of a given set of vectors, while a subspace is a subset of a vector space that contains all the properties of a vector space. This means that a span can contain non-vectors, while a subspace can only contain vectors.

5. How can you prove that a set is a subspace?

In order to prove that a set is a subspace, you can show that it meets the three criteria mentioned above: it contains the zero vector, it is closed under addition, and it is closed under scalar multiplication. You can also use the subspace test, which states that if all linear combinations of the vectors in the set are also contained in the set, then it is a subspace.