Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the coefficient of lift

1. Dec 17, 2014 #1
    Been working on a new way of determining the lift coefficient besides the thin airfoil theory,and I don't know if there is already such a method or if i'm wrong.Plz Help.We know,
    L=CL×1/2ρv^2A
    Now,as lift is a force,then it should be as L=mμ, where μ is the "upwards acceleration".
    So, L=mμ=CL×1/2ρv^2A
    ⇒mμ=CL×1/2ρ[(0)^2+2as]A, because v^2=u^2+2as,and here the initial velocity will be zero.
    ⇒mμ=CL×1/2ρ2asA
    ⇒mμ=CL×ρ×a×s×A
    ⇒CL=mμ/ρasA
    That's it.Am I wrong somewhere?......plz reply.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2014 #2

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suppose the algebra seems correct, but I am not really certain that this would ever be useful. For level flight, there isn't going to be any acceleration upward or downward since ##ma = \Sigma F## and ##\Sigma F## will be zero, yet there is certainly still lift. In other words, your ##\mu## is likely going to be meaningful. Further, for level flight at constant airspeed, your ##a## term will also be zero, meaning your whole ##C_L## will have a ##0/0## term in it and will be undefined, yet ##C_L## is certainly defined and nonzero at that point.

4. Dec 18, 2014 #3
    whoa.....would've missed that,thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook