1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the constructability of angles

1. Apr 1, 2013 #1
    Are 6 degrees, 5 degrees, and 7.5 degrees constructable?

So based on the theorems that I know, these angles are constructable iff the cos[itex]\vartheta[/itex] is constructible. So all that is left for me to do is show if cos[itex]\vartheta[/itex] is constructable.

For 6 degrees, I tried to get a relatonship with the trig identity of cos(3[itex]\vartheta[/itex]) = 4cos3([itex]\vartheta[/itex]) - 3cos([itex]\vartheta[/itex]) because from there I could use the fact that if I can obtain a solution of the 3rd degree polynomial, then based on the rational roots theorem I could determine if the angle is constructible. My issue is, I couldn't find a simple relationship for 6degrees. I tried some higher level trig identities and "attempted" to simplify, but it started to appear futile.

So now I'm at a cross roads. Same with the other two.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think about polygons that have constructible angles. A pentagon is constructible. That means 72 degrees is constructible. If that's constructible then 36 degrees is also constructible. Why? 30 degrees is also constructible. Why? That would mean 36-30 is also constructible. Why?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted