Parametrization - circle defined by plane intersection sphere

In summary, the circle in the intersection of the plane x+y+z=0 and the sphere x2+y2+z2=1 can be expressed as x(\vartheta) = (cos(\vartheta)-(3)1/2sin(\vartheta)) / (61/2), y(\vartheta) = (cos(\vartheta)+(3)1/2sin(\vartheta)) / (61/2), and z(\vartheta) = -(2cos(\vartheta)) / (61/2). To find this expression, one could rotate the coordinate system to make the plane's equation easier to work with, or check that the parameters satisfy the equations and range over the complete circle.
forty
Show that the circle that is in the intersection of the plane x+y+z=0 and the sphere x2+y2+z2=1 can be expressed as:

x([tex]\vartheta[/tex]) = (cos([tex]\vartheta[/tex])-(3)1/2sin([tex]\vartheta[/tex])) / (61/2)y([tex]\vartheta[/tex]) = (cos([tex]\vartheta[/tex])+(3)1/2sin([tex]\vartheta[/tex])) / (61/2)z([tex]\vartheta[/tex]) = -(2cos([tex]\vartheta[/tex])) / (61/2)

I'm really stuck on how to do this. I have already looked over a couple of threads on this forum as well as others however they all do the intersection between a sphere and a plane.

I know this is the unit sphere centered at (0,0,0) and I know the plane is 45 degrees to all axis with its normal vector defined as (1,1,1). I've tried changing co-ordinate systems as well as using some trig substitutions. I've also tried projecting the intersection onto a plane but can't really work out how to do that properly.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Well have you checked it satisfies the equations, and that each parameter ranges over the complete circle? Alternatively you could just rotate your coordinate system (and hence parameters) so the plane has a nicer equation, and is easier to check.

How would I change my parameter so I could rotate it to make it nicer?

1. What is parametrization?

Parametrization is a process used in mathematics and physics to express a set of equations or geometric figures in terms of variables or parameters. This allows for a more general representation of the equations or figures, making them easier to work with and manipulate.

2. How is a circle defined by plane intersection sphere?

A circle can be defined by the intersection of a plane and a sphere in three-dimensional space. The plane must pass through the center of the sphere and be perpendicular to the sphere's radius. The resulting circle is the intersection of the plane and the sphere.

3. What is the equation for a circle defined by plane intersection sphere?

The equation for a circle defined by plane intersection sphere is (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 + (z-c)^2 = r^2, where (a,b,c) is the center of the sphere and r is the radius.

4. How can the circle be parametrized?

The circle can be parametrized using two parameters, u and v, with the following equations: x = a + rcos(u)cos(v), y = b + rsin(u)cos(v), z = c + rsin(v), where u and v are both angles that vary from 0 to 2π.

5. What is the significance of parametrization in this case?

Parametrization of a circle defined by plane intersection sphere allows us to express the circle in a more general form, making it easier to manipulate and calculate properties such as area and circumference. It also allows for the circle to be defined in terms of two parameters, making it more versatile and applicable in various contexts.