Determining the direction of electric field flow and the sign on potential difference

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
StudentofSci
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A resistor made from a shell with an inner radius r1 and an outer radius r2 hasa conductivity sigma. The current flows radially outward.
1.What direction does the E field point in.
2. Is the potential difference V2-V1 positive or negative.

Homework Equations


None, problem is conceptual.


The Attempt at a Solution


As far as I know the electric field flows towards an negative charge and away from a positive charge. I believe that the direction a current flow indicates a flow of positive charge. Thus if a positive charge is flowing outward then the electric field must also be flowing outward in order to move away from the positive charge.

The potential difference here I believe would also be positive. This is just because in problems that I've done before when it was positive the electric current was flowing outward. This however, may just be cowincedence. Can someone please explain this concept to me.

Thank you for your time.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Yes, it's basically Ohm's Law. When current flows through a resistance there is a potential drop in the direction of the current flow: E = IR.