Determining the height an arrow reaches when shot from a bow

• Thread starter otownsend
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Height
In summary: Hah!. Sideways wouldn't do in this case. Completely upside down is the necessary contortion. :smile:
otownsend
User reminded to post schoolwork-type questions in the Homework Help forum and to use the Template there
Hi,

I'm trying to attempt the "Try it yourself" on the bottom-right corner of the image attached, but I am struggling.

As you see in the other image I attached, in one scenario I took into account the kinetic friction (which did not lead me anywhere since I needed to know the velocity of the arrow once in the air), and then in another scenario I did not take it into account (which led me to the wrong answer of about 81 meters). The actual answer is 28 meters.

I hope someone can help me solve this question!:/

IMG_20181112_132541.jpg

IMG_20181112_132416.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181112_132541.jpg
    IMG_20181112_132541.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 782
  • IMG_20181112_132416.jpg
    IMG_20181112_132416.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 662
Physics news on Phys.org
otownsend said:
Hi,

I'm trying to attempt the "Try it yourself" on the bottom-right corner of the image attached, but I am struggling.

As you see in the other image I attached, in one scenario I took into account the kinetic friction (which did not lead me anywhere since I needed to know the velocity of the arrow once in the air), and then in another scenario I did not take it into account (which led me to the wrong answer of about 81 meters). The actual answer is 28 meters.

I hope someone can help me solve this question!:/

View attachment 233862
View attachment 233863
Actually, in the problem statement, the answer is printed upside down. Take another look at it. You interpreted it as 28m, but it is actually 82m.

Likes berkeman
tnich said:
the answer is printed upside down.
Amazing that this apparently worked here!

The height achieved should actually be just a tad less than what they gave since they failed to take into account the distance the arrow rose while being accelerated by the bow.

gneill said:
The height achieved should actually be just a tad less than what they gave since they failed to take into account the distance the arrow rose while being accelerated by the bow.
Doesn't that cancel out? Yes, it made the launch speed a little less but that matches the contribution made to the eventual height. Essentially, initial stored energy equals GPE achieved.

haruspex said:
Doesn't that cancel out? Yes, it made the launch speed a little less but that matches the contribution made to the eventual height. Essentially, initial stored energy equals GPE achieved.
I suppose, If you count the distance of the bow stretch as part of the height achieved. I was thinking that the height desired was the height achieved by the projectile after launch.

Oh wow -_______- sorry about not turning my head properly side-ways... I'll be more careful next time before I make a post.

otownsend said:
Oh wow -_______- sorry about not turning my head properly side-ways... I'll be more careful next time before I make a post.
Hah!. Sideways wouldn't do in this case. Completely upside down is the necessary contortion. :smile:

1. How is the height of an arrow determined when shot from a bow?

The height of an arrow can be determined using mathematical equations and measurements of the bow's angle, draw weight, and the arrow's weight and velocity.

2. What factors affect the height an arrow reaches when shot from a bow?

The height an arrow reaches is affected by the bow's angle, draw weight, arrow weight, arrow velocity, and environmental factors such as wind resistance.

3. Can the height an arrow reaches be predicted accurately?

Yes, by using precise measurements and calculations, the height an arrow reaches can be predicted with a high degree of accuracy.

4. Is the height an arrow reaches the same for every shot?

No, the height an arrow reaches can vary depending on the conditions and variables involved in each shot, such as the angle of the bow, environmental factors, and the archer's technique.

5. Can the height an arrow reaches be increased?

Yes, by adjusting the bow's angle, draw weight, and the archer's technique, the height an arrow reaches can be increased. Additionally, using a lighter and faster arrow can also result in a higher shot.