Determining the type of critical point when the second derivative test fails

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to solve a problem involving a given function and finding its critical point. The person tried using second derivatives, Taylor expansion, and considering different types of critical points, but did not make any progress. Another person suggests comparing values and signs of derivatives in the neighborhood of the critical points, using the same reasoning as in the single variable case.
kevinlightman

Homework Statement

For example with f(x,y) = x2y + xy2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know there is a critical point at (0,0). So I calculated the second derivatives but they are all 0 here so that doesn't help.
I also tried using the Taylor expansion to show that f(x,y)>f(0,0) or not but that didn't get me anywhere.
Then I tried considering the type of critical point on x=0,y=0,y=-x etc. but again I didn't get anywhere.
Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw up a table of values to compare values, and most importantly the signs, of the derivatives in the neighborhood of the critical points. It is the same reasoning as is the single variable case eg When we conclude that a critical point was a local maximum if the derivative from the left is positive and the derivative from the right is negative.

1. What is the second derivative test?

The second derivative test is a mathematical method used to determine the nature of a critical point on a function. It involves calculating the second derivative of the function at the critical point and using its sign to determine whether the critical point is a local maximum, local minimum, or a saddle point.

2. When does the second derivative test fail?

The second derivative test fails when the second derivative of the function at the critical point is zero. This means that the test cannot determine the nature of the critical point and further analysis is needed to determine whether it is a maximum, minimum, or saddle point.

3. What are the different types of critical points when the second derivative test fails?

When the second derivative test fails, there are two possible types of critical points: inflection points and degenerate critical points. An inflection point is a point where the concavity of the function changes. A degenerate critical point is a point where the second derivative is also zero, making it difficult to determine the nature of the point.

4. How can one determine the type of critical point when the second derivative test fails?

To determine the type of critical point when the second derivative test fails, one must look at the higher-order derivatives of the function at the critical point. By calculating the third derivative, one can determine whether the critical point is an inflection point or a degenerate critical point.

5. Why is it important to determine the type of critical point on a function?

Determining the type of critical point on a function is important because it provides valuable information about the behavior of the function and can be used to optimize the function or solve real-world problems. For example, knowing the location of a local maximum or minimum can help in maximizing profits or minimizing costs in a business setting.