Determining the uncertainty of the coefficient of friction

In summary: You have to calculate the maximal and minimal values of ##\mu##. (You cannot calculate it from maximal and minimal values of f and N.) So you have to calculate the maximal and minimal values of ##f/N##. That's what I described in post #4.In summary, the conversation revolves around determining the uncertainty in the force of friction and force normal, as well as calculating the coefficient of friction (myoo). The approach taken involves measuring the values of f and N and using the formula, mu = f/N, to calculate the coefficient of friction. However, there is confusion regarding the calculation of uncertainties and some suggestions are given, such as plotting a graph and using the slope to determine the uncertainty. The conversation also touches on
Nick tringali

Homework Statement

So far i know that the uncertainty of the force of friction is +/- 0.1 and the uncertainty of the force normal is +/- 0.1 also.

Homework Equations

Force of friction=(myoo)(force normal)
Myoo= force friction / force normal

The Attempt at a Solution

My data is
Force of friction | myoo | fnormal
0.0 | 0.0 | 0.0
1.4 | 0.264 | 5.3
1.9 | 0.260 | 7.3
3.2 | 0.262 | 12.2
4.1 | 0.272 | 15.1
4.6 | 0.269 | 17.1
Thats my calculated data so first I added 0.1 to1.4 and got 1.5 then I added 0.1 to 5.3 and got 5.4 then divided 1.5/5.4 and got 0.27777 (which is my max myoo value) now to get the min value I subtracted 0.1 from 1.4 and 5.3 and divided again 1.3/5.2 and got .25 for the min myoo value then i subtracter 0.27777 from 0.25 and got my uncertainty to be 0.0277, the problem is i tryed the same prossess with another set of values from my data table and got a different uncertainty. For the last set of numbers with frictonal force of 4.6 i got the uncerntanty to be 0.00855 (i did the same process as before) All of my class mates are doing different ways.

Physics news on Phys.org
This does not make sense to me ...
You need to be clear about what is being attempted ... myoo is the coefficient of friction I take it?

I cannot tell what you have done -

Let f = ffriction is the friction force, N = fnormal is the normal force, and mu or ##\mu## is myoo is the coefficient of friction. (saves typing)
You would normally want to measure f and N to calculate mu.
You say you have calculated all three for the table ... your problem statement gives uncertainties for f and N, which suggests a measurement for f and N.

OK: assuming you have friction ##f\pm\sigma_f## and normal force ##N\pm\sigma_N## then ##\mu = f/N## - f and N are independant and divided so you propagate the relative errors (percentage errors).

The rule is as for ##z=xy##, i.e. $$\left(\frac{\sigma_z}{z}\right)^2=\left(\frac{\sigma_x}{x}\right)^2+\left(\frac{\sigma_y}{y}\right)^2 $$

... this you'd do for every line, giving you the uncertainty for each value of mu.

Better: plot a graph of f vs N - the slope will be mu, and you can calculate the uncertainty of the slope.
Also better - find the mean and standard deviation of the mu column of your table ... the value of mu is ##\mu = \mu_{ave} \pm \sigma /\sqrt{n}## where n is the number of entries in the columb.

Note: your table mu value for f=0 is wrong. But I don't know what you actually did: I'm just guessing.
It may help you to see:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/uncertainty-of-an-average.612633/

Last edited:
Likes Nick tringali
Thanks simon, but what do those symbols in the numerator represent?

That is uncertainty right?

Would each value of myoo have there own different uncertainty then, I was looking for the uncertainty for the myoo column as a whole, sorry if I am not following you 100%. Should i just use that formula you gave?

I also have a graph like that and the slope too of the line of best fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can edit your posts if you want to add something. I merged your posts.

The symbols in the numerators are the uncertainties, right.
Nick tringali said:
Would each value of myoo have there own different uncertainty then
Correct. You can calculate an overall uncertainty out of those different values later.
Nick tringali said:
Should i just use that formula you gave?
Yes. Or use the fit approach.

Unrelated:
Nick tringali said:
Thats my calculated data so first I added 0.1 to1.4 and got 1.5 then I added 0.1 to 5.3 and got 5.4 then divided 1.5/5.4 and got 0.27777 (which is my max myoo value)
A (positive) fraction gets maximal if the numerator is maximal and the denominator is minimal. 1.5/5.2 is larger than 1.5/5.4. But that approach is not right anyway.

Likes Nick tringali

What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is the ratio of the force required to move an object over a surface to the force pressing the two surfaces together.

Why is it important to determine the uncertainty of the coefficient of friction?

Determining the uncertainty of the coefficient of friction is important because it allows for a more accurate representation of the relationship between the two surfaces. It also helps in predicting the performance and safety of objects in motion.

How is the uncertainty of the coefficient of friction calculated?

The uncertainty of the coefficient of friction is calculated by first measuring the applied force and the resulting frictional force. Then, using statistical analysis and error propagation, the uncertainty can be determined based on the precision of the measurements and other factors.

What factors can affect the uncertainty of the coefficient of friction?

There are several factors that can affect the uncertainty of the coefficient of friction, including the precision of the measurements, environmental conditions (such as temperature and humidity), and variations in the surface roughness or composition.

How can the uncertainty of the coefficient of friction be minimized?

The uncertainty of the coefficient of friction can be minimized by using more precise measurement techniques, controlling and minimizing environmental factors, and taking multiple measurements to reduce random errors. Additionally, using materials with consistent surface properties can also help in reducing uncertainty.