Determining the Wave Function

In summary, the wavefunction for a particle in an infinite square well will remain a superposition of the first two stationary states even after t=0.
Bashyboy
This is Problem comes from Griffiths Quantum Mechanics textbook; specifically, it is problem 2.5 (b).

A particle in an infinite square well has its initial wave function an even mixture of the first two stationary states:

[itex]\displaystyle \Psi(x,0) = A[\psi_1(x) + \psi_2(x)][/itex]

Here is the part of the problem that I am having a little trouble with:

(b) Find [itex]\displaystyle \Psi(x,t)[/itex] and [itex]\displaystyle |\Psi(x,t)|^2[/itex]|. Express the latter as a sinusoidal function of time, as in Example 2.1. To simplify the result, let [itex]\omega \equiv \frac{\pi^2 \hbar}{2ma^2}[/itex]

According to the answer key, even after t=0, the wave function continues to be a mixture of the first two stationary states. Why is that? I am having a little difficulty understanding this. Why can't it be a new 'mixture?'

As far as I understand, to calculate the wavefunction for all future times, we use the equations

[itex]\displaystyle \Psi (x,t) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} c_n \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} \sin \left( \frac{n \pi}{a} x \right) e^{-i(n^2 \pi^2 \hbar/2ma^2)t}[/itex]

and

[itex]\displaystyle c_n = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} \int_0^a \sin \left( \frac{n \pi}{a} x \right) \Psi (x,0) dx [/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand your question. ##\Psi## will evolve with time, but it will remain a superposition of ##\psi_1## and ##\psi_2##.

That's precisely my question. Why will it remain as a superposition of the two states, even after t=0?

At t=0, ##c_n = 0## for ##n>2##, right? So the coefficient of ##\psi_n## for ##n>2## will be 0 as well for ##t>0##.

Oh, so the coefficients do not change with time?

The coefficients of ##\psi_1## and ##\psi_2## change with time as they pick up a phase factor. If you look at the formula for ##\Psi(x,t)##, you should be able to see that the coefficient of ##\psi_1##, for instance, is ##c_1 e^{-i\omega t}##. But the ##c_n##'s are defined in terms of ##\Psi## when ##t=0##, so they're just constants.

Are you familiar with the time evolution operator in the form ##U(t)=e^{-iHt/\hbar}##? See if you can find it in your book. Once you understand it, you should find it easy to use it to answer your question.

1. What is the wave function and how is it determined?

The wave function is a mathematical representation of a quantum system that describes the probability of finding a particle at a certain position and time. It is determined by solving the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the energy and interactions of the particles in the system.

2. How does determining the wave function help in understanding quantum mechanics?

Determining the wave function allows us to calculate and predict the behavior of particles on a quantum level. This helps us understand and explain phenomena such as wave-particle duality and the uncertainty principle.

3. Can the wave function be measured or observed directly?

No, the wave function itself cannot be measured or observed directly. It is a mathematical construct that describes the state of a quantum system. However, we can use the wave function to calculate the probability of observing a particle at a certain position and time.

4. What factors affect the determination of the wave function?

The wave function is affected by the properties and interactions of the particles in the system, as well as external factors such as energy and potential barriers. The accuracy of the wave function also depends on the complexity of the system and the methods used for its determination.

5. Are there different methods for determining the wave function?

Yes, there are various methods for determining the wave function, such as the Schrödinger equation, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, and the path integral formulation. These methods may be more suitable for different types of systems and can provide different levels of accuracy.