1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the Wave Function

1. Aug 16, 2014 #1
    This is Problem comes from Griffiths Quantum Mechanics textbook; specifically, it is problem 2.5 (b).

A particle in an infinite square well has its initial wave function an even mixture of the first two stationary states:

[itex]\displaystyle \Psi(x,0) = A[\psi_1(x) + \psi_2(x)][/itex]

Here is the part of the problem that I am having a little trouble with:

(b) Find [itex]\displaystyle \Psi(x,t)[/itex] and [itex]\displaystyle |\Psi(x,t)|^2[/itex]|. Express the latter as a sinusoidal function of time, as in Example 2.1. To simplify the result, let [itex]\omega \equiv \frac{\pi^2 \hbar}{2ma^2}[/itex]

According to the answer key, even after t=0, the wave function continues to be a mixture of the first two stationary states. Why is that? I am having a little difficulty understanding this. Why can't it be a new 'mixture?'

As far as I understand, to calculate the wavefunction for all future times, we use the equations

[itex]\displaystyle \Psi (x,t) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} c_n \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} \sin \left( \frac{n \pi}{a} x \right) e^{-i(n^2 \pi^2 \hbar/2ma^2)t}[/itex]

and

[itex]\displaystyle c_n = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} \int_0^a \sin \left( \frac{n \pi}{a} x \right) \Psi (x,0) dx [/itex]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I'm not sure I understand your question. ##\Psi## will evolve with time, but it will remain a superposition of ##\psi_1## and ##\psi_2##.

4. Aug 16, 2014 #3
    That's precisely my question. Why will it remain as a superposition of the two states, even after t=0?

5. Aug 16, 2014 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

At t=0, ##c_n = 0## for ##n>2##, right? So the coefficient of ##\psi_n## for ##n>2## will be 0 as well for ##t>0##.

6. Aug 16, 2014 #5
    Oh, so the coefficients do not change with time?

7. Aug 16, 2014 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The coefficients of ##\psi_1## and ##\psi_2## change with time as they pick up a phase factor. If you look at the formula for ##\Psi(x,t)##, you should be able to see that the coefficient of ##\psi_1##, for instance, is ##c_1 e^{-i\omega t}##. But the ##c_n##'s are defined in terms of ##\Psi## when ##t=0##, so they're just constants.

8. Aug 16, 2014 #7

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you familiar with the time evolution operator in the form ##U(t)=e^{-iHt/\hbar}##? See if you can find it in your book. Once you understand it, you should find it easy to use it to answer your question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted