Determining work of a 3 particle system

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the distance a particle will go from the surface of a spherical asteroid with a radius of 500km and an acceleration due to gravity of 3.0m/s2 if it leaves the surface with a radial speed of 1000m/s. The homework equations used include conservation of energy and the equation U=-(GmM)/r. The incorrect solution was found to be 5166666.667 meters from the center of the asteroid, instead of the correct answer of 250000 meters above the surface. The correct approach involves finding the mass of the asteroid and using U=-(GmM)/r to solve for the height.
Dusty912

Homework Statement

on a spherical astroid with a radius of 500km and an acceleration due to gravity of 3.0m/s2
How far from the surface will a particle go if it leaves the asteroid’s surface with a radial speed of 1000m/s?

Homework Equations

conservation of energy
Ui + ki=Uf +kf
U=-(GmM)/r
K=(1/2)mv2
-------------------------
f=ma
-(GmM)/r2=ma
-(GM)/r2=a
-(GM)/r=ar
(can apply to h height)

r=radius of astroid
h=height above center
m=mass of rocket
M=mass of astroid
G=gravitational constant
a=acceleration due to asteroids gravity

The Attempt at a Solution

Ui + ki=Uf +kf
Ui + ki=Uf + 0
-(GmM)/r +(1/2)mvi2=-(GmM)/h
the m masses cancel
-(GM)/r +(1/2)vi2=-(GM)/h
-ar +(1/2)vi2=-ah
r-(1/2)(1/a)vi2=h
plugging in the values gives me
500000m+(1/2)(1/(3m/s2)(1000m/s2)2=h

5166666.667meters from the center of the astroid. so 166666.667 meters above its surface. Which is the incorrect answer. the right answer is 250000 meters above the surface.

I know this should be a pretty simple problem, Not too sure where I went wrong. Thanks ahead of time

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay so I realized that I cannot use mgh fro the U final because the acceleration due to gravity is different here. So I found the mass of the astroid. If I use U=-(GmM)/r and solve for h will I get the correct answer?

and btw the title is wrong for this post.

Related to Determining work of a 3 particle system

1. What is the definition of work in a 3 particle system?

The work in a 3 particle system refers to the amount of energy transferred to or from the system due to external forces acting on the particles.

2. How is the work of a 3 particle system calculated?

The work of a 3 particle system can be calculated by finding the dot product of the force acting on each particle and the displacement of that particle, and then summing these values for all three particles.

3. What are some examples of external forces that can affect the work of a 3 particle system?

External forces that can affect the work of a 3 particle system include gravitational forces, electromagnetic forces, and contact forces from other objects.

4. Can the work of a 3 particle system be negative?

Yes, the work of a 3 particle system can be negative if the forces and displacements are in opposite directions, indicating that the system is losing energy.

5. How does the work of a 3 particle system relate to the system's kinetic and potential energy?

The work done on a 3 particle system can result in changes in the system's kinetic and potential energy. For example, if work is done to increase the kinetic energy of the system, the potential energy may decrease, and vice versa.