Diagram of electric potential difference in plate capacitor

In summary, the conversation discusses a plate capacitor filled with two dielectrics of constants 3 and 4, and a metal. The electric field in the first dielectric is 30 kV/cm and the question asks for a diagram of the electric potential difference using point C as a reference point, and the voltage UBF. The conversation also addresses the ratio of capacitances and the possibility of φd being 0. The solution involves setting point C as the zero reference for potential and considering the dip in potential from D to E.
PhanicKnight

Homework Statement

Plate capacitor is filled with two dielectrics of constants 3 and 4, and with a metal as seen in the picture. If the el. field in the first dielectric is 30 kV/cm, do:

a) diagram of el. potential difference with calculated characteristic values using point C as a reference point.

b) voltage UBF

2. The attempt at a solution
scan0008.jpg

There's no way φd can be 0 and I don't know any other way of getting to it.

Physics news on Phys.org
PhanicKnight said:
If the el. field in the first dielectric is 30 kV/cm,
What does this tell you about the voltage across the first capacitor?
PhanicKnight said:
two dielectrics of constants 3 and 4,
What does this tell you about the ratio of two capacitances?
Edit: I just saw your attempt below the question. It wasn't clearly visible on my phone earlier.

PhanicKnight said:
There's no way φd can be 0
Why? What can you say about the E-field between C and D?

cnh1995 said:
Why? What can you say about the E-field between C and D?
Okay, so φd actually is 0. I tried something (see picture underneath), but I'm not sure if it's correct as I don't have correct answers.

scan0009.jpg

The question says to use the point C as the reference point, so presumably you must set that as the zero reference for potential. That means at the very least you need to shift your graph downwards by 120 kV.

How do you explain the dip in potential from D to E? Does the field change directions at E? I don't see a charge there that would account for it.

Likes PhanicKnight
I solved it, thank you all for the help!
upload_2016-11-16_1-38-17.png

Likes gneill

1. What is a plate capacitor?

A plate capacitor is a device used to store electrical energy by creating an electric field between two conducting plates separated by a dielectric material. It is commonly used in electronic circuits and can store large amounts of charge.

2. How is the electric potential difference represented in a plate capacitor diagram?

The electric potential difference, also known as voltage, is represented by the distance between the two plates in a plate capacitor diagram. The larger the distance between the plates, the higher the voltage and vice versa.

3. What factors affect the electric potential difference in a plate capacitor?

The electric potential difference in a plate capacitor is affected by the distance between the plates, the magnitude of charge on the plates, and the dielectric constant of the material between the plates. It is also influenced by the external voltage applied to the capacitor.

4. How is the electric potential difference calculated in a plate capacitor?

The electric potential difference in a plate capacitor can be calculated by dividing the charge on one plate by the capacitance of the capacitor. It can also be calculated by multiplying the electric field between the plates by the distance between the plates.

5. What is the significance of the electric potential difference in a plate capacitor?

The electric potential difference in a plate capacitor determines the amount of energy that can be stored in the capacitor. It is also used to calculate the electric field strength and the amount of work required to move a charge between the plates of the capacitor.