1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diagram of electric potential difference in plate capacitor

1. Nov 13, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Plate capacitor is filled with two dielectrics of constants 3 and 4, and with a metal as seen in the picture. If the el. field in the first dielectric is 30 kV/cm, do:

a) diagram of el. potential difference with calculated characteristic values using point C as a reference point.

b) voltage UBF

2. The attempt at a solution
    scan0008.jpg

There's no way φd can be 0 and I don't know any other way of getting to it.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2016 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

What does this tell you about the voltage across the first capacitor?
    What does this tell you about the ratio of two capacitances?
    Edit: I just saw your attempt below the question. It wasn't clearly visible on my phone earlier.

4. Nov 13, 2016 #3

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Why? What can you say about the E-field between C and D?

5. Nov 13, 2016 #4
    Okay, so φd actually is 0. I tried something (see picture underneath), but I'm not sure if it's correct as I don't have correct answers.

scan0009.jpg

6. Nov 13, 2016 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The question says to use the point C as the reference point, so presumably you must set that as the zero reference for potential. That means at the very least you need to shift your graph downwards by 120 kV.

How do you explain the dip in potential from D to E? Does the field change directions at E? I don't see a charge there that would account for it.

7. Nov 15, 2016 #6
    I solved it, thank you all for the help!
    upload_2016-11-16_1-38-17.png

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted